Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help tweek Cinemacanica Tower

Author Topic: Help tweek Cinemacanica Tower
Jeffrey A. Bartone
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2006 12:00 AM      Profile for Jeffrey A. Bartone   Email Jeffrey A. Bartone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We salvaged this Cinemacanica Tower 4x4 but it's way out of wack. None of the tensions are correct and the manual says nothing about the operational concepts of fine tuning. Please contact me if you have experience with this rascal.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2006 04:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The good ol' Cinemeccanica 4x tower. Interesting piece of equipment.

-

If your having problems with take-up tension, there is an adjustment for this.

The take-up system is different than the usual take up systems using a felt pad between two flat plates which one rotates and the other is stationary and a spring to compress the felt pad for tension adjustments of the spindle.

The take-up system uses what's called a "constant torque" to where the spindle rotation torque is the same when take-up reel is empty, or full.

What this does, is that this device allows the takeup reel to have constant takeup torque, or tension if the reel is empty, or full.

How to adjust this takeup is to have a full reel on the bottom spindle, for this is the maximum weight allowed on the spindle, Then loosen up the sliding adjuster to allow the spindle to be at dead horizontal with that full reel on the spindle.

Head on over to the manuals section and look up the Cinemeccanica V-18 parts manual, pg 16. You'll see the takeup assembly. Even though this is for the large reel transport for the V-18, the 2 and 4x towers used the same takeup assemblies from this reel transport.

The two parts 18-4756 and 18-4758 are the ones that does the adjusting for the proper takeup tension.

good luck-Monte

Jeffrey A. Bartone
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2006 01:48 AM      Profile for Jeffrey A. Bartone   Email Jeffrey A. Bartone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Monte. I haven't seen these in any other booths. Pretty obscure I guess... no manuals in film tech, almost nothing turns up on the google search, etc. Your tip for take up improved our set up immediately. Now the little motors seem really stressed when rewinding like there's too much back tension. Those are some peculiar looking reels on the pictured 4X4... quite different than our Goldberg's. Are they really light?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2006 03:01 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are the correct Cinemecannica reels for the tower, Goldbergs may be too heavy, and have incorrect sized hubs, which might well cause tension problems. There are a few of these over here, not many, the Westrex is and was both more popular and technically superior.

Parts for the earlier DGB 4x4 towers are pretty much unobtainable, I've rebuilt the odd gearbox, and had motors rewound. Replaced quite a few with reconditioned Westrex or new Kinoton towers due to lack of parts availability too.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-16-2006 04:47 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used 13k Goldbergs with the "floating" hub with no problems - even with the supply reel FULL to the edge. Trick is to get that hub to rotate without all of that mass (reel flange) going with it - which turns a solid reel into very big flywheel.

you noticed that the Cine reels in the picture has those 200 ft inserts to reduce the footage down to a 11k. BUT, with these inserts, it also reduced the startup rotation RPM, AND also reduced the startup torque as well - to prevent film snapping on takeup.

If one wants to remove those inserts on a Cine reel, it's fine. But, use that reel for supply only - never for take up. Just use the 13k Goldberg (or, any make of 13k slip hub reel) slip reels for takeup and your startup torque and excessive takeup tension will be eliminated.

Rewind tension is needed for those big reels. The motor/transission assembly is built for that much pull. I do believe it's a 20/1 reduction. BUT the BIG thing is to keep the transmission fully lubed since you do have a big brass gear in the casing being turned by the steel worm on the motor end. You strip out that brass gear....and good luck finding another one (to where you would have to get the replacement specially built by a machine shop..and that definitely gets a bit costy...)

thx, and good luck with the 4x tower.. - Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: