Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex XL PR1014 Gasket Set (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Simplex XL PR1014 Gasket Set
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2006 10:30 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Anyone know if there is a part number for a complete gasket/rebuild set for these?

2. If so where can I get them?

3. How much do they cost?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-08-2006 12:04 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joshua Waaland
1. Anyone know if there is a part number for a complete gasket/rebuild set for these?

2. If so where can I get them?

3. How much do they cost?

1-Gaskets are ordered on an individual basis.

2-Bug Mark at Claco (1-801-355-1250) to order you some

3-Price is variable on per gasket.

-Monte

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2006 12:39 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send me an email..I am clearing out my XL parts I can put together a set and quote a complete price, I will need the model PR# and approx age and w or w/o turret. etc. Thanks, John

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I don't reccomend using old gaskets on any projector at all. Nothing against John..... Old gaskets shring fomr age and dryness and most of the new gaskets from Strong are quite superior to the old paper and cardboard crap that Simplex used to supply. Also the new red rubber door seal from Strong is way superior to the old Medical tubing or neoprene tubing door gaskets. The new material doesn't break down nor flatten out like the old junk does.

Just my 10 cents worth....

Mark

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2006 07:50 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I just read Mark post a positive comment about something made by Strong!?! [Eek!]

I've found that the penolic gaskets work better in some applications than the rubber type that Strong is now using. One example is the outer shutter bearing gasket.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2006 08:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tristian,

Yes, I can think of about a half dozen GOOD things Strong has done over the years.

I hope you don't do technicianing on too may projectors.... There are no Phenolic gaskets for Simplex's..... Phenolic is a resin impregnated fibre material... typically used to make gears. Go ask Monte!

Depending on which Simplex gasket you pick it could be made of....

Paper, cork, rubber, neoprene, etc...... but not phenolic!

Also you don't really need that outer gasket. Simplex's didn't have them for over 25 years..... its just someones after thought.

Mark

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2006 08:23 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phenolic was the wrong word to use to describe the material. The material I prefer is what you would classify as paper but with additional itmes added that I assumed were a resin type material. It doesn't compress as much as rubber. But, without the gasket, the projectors I have worked with will leak from the shutter shaft. The reason I chose to use the term Phenolic is because it closely resembles Fish paper used in insulating electronic PCB's.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2006 10:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean the wax treated paper gaskets, or composite gasket material. They're ok, never had a problem with the neoprene version either for that matter. Any of those work fine for me. Remember that Fish Paper can actually act as an oil wick and could lead to other problems down the line ith leaks. A good composite gasket material, about .05" thick would work fine there as well.

Generally if the X-L is oiling correctly there is no need for any gasket there since all that area receives is an oil mist..... no direct oil spray. Your rebuilds may not be oiling correctly if they leak there.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2006 03:10 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...lol...just get out the good ol' orange Permatex "Form-a-gasket" goo...do it right and nothing gets past that seal..

(j/k .. don't listen to me..been a long night replacing exhaust fans, changing out platter motor brushes, rebuilding platter motors..et.al. darn - XL machines are still running ...)

-Monte

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2006 06:47 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that a gasket set would be a no brainer. Just like an engine rebuild kit has a gasket set wouldn't it be beneficial to have an XL gasket set available also. They should offer it both ways, as a set and on an individual basis. That would make it much easier on someone doing a complete rebuild. Strong probably just wants to charge you more by selling you the gaskets individually. [Roll Eyes]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2006 07:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of any projector manufacturer that offers a "set" of gaskets for its machine. The gaskets are very inexpensive to begin with...even from Strong. We stock them all in quantity.

Mark

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2006 08:49 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is another problem I could see by not offering a set. Let's say you are ordering the gaskets and manage to not see a gasket on your parts breakdown. You have to place a second order and pay shipping again and now you are delayed another day at least. I just think that is stupid. It just seems like common sense to me. Am I crazy? [uhoh]

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2006 11:08 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark..the number of gaskets I used to go through meant that I have a very fresh stock! In fact none are older than about 2 years now! And most all are from Strong too! After Charlie sold out Wolk Co. I exclusively have used Strong parts! Anyway, I too would be the first to throw away older or shrunken gaskets!! As for forgetting to order a gasket?? Most supply dealers will ask if you need the gasket when ordering bearings or other parts generally involving removal of gasketed items. At least that is what I always would do, just like a good auto parts man.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-09-2006 06:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua,

After 50 or so years of production of the essentially the same machine, most people working on them know what they need with no surprises. Those that would need a "kit" are way too few to make it worth the bother. Then comes the method of packaging various sized gaskets and storing them un-damaged. Then if you need one of them but not the whole kit...what a nightmare for a dealer or service agency.

Kits just don't make sense for the bulk of the people working on them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2006 07:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh,

I would be delighted to put together a gasket "kit" just for you.....

John,
As I said... U have no problem with Strong gaskets. Its one of the 6 good things about Strong.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: