Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Making a screen out of wood and paint

Author Topic: Making a screen out of wood and paint
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2006 08:40 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

I'm planning a couple outdoor screenings in the summer on 16mm and I need to build sometype of screen. What would be the best method of doing this? Would plywood painted white do it? or is there a special paint that I should use? The projector is Xenon Prevost 500watt 16mm.

Thanks,

paul

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2006 08:46 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not use plywood, you will be able to see the grain no matter how you paint it. Use sheetrock if a real screen is not possible.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-07-2006 08:56 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that a movie screen and a sailboat have a lot in common: They are both excellent collectors of wind!

Don't expect to be able to plant a couple of 4" X 4"s into the ground and call it a day. One gust of wind and... Bye Bye screen!

Not to say that a good screen can't be made from wooden framing but, you've got to think ahead when planning your structure.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-07-2006 10:34 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that. An outdoor movie screen mounted on posts needs to have adequate support piers dug and reenforced with concrete. Deeper and larger piers with rebar may be necessary if the screen starts to get large.

It would also be a good idea to call your city government to see if there are any permit requirements. At the very least, call your utility companies for a locate of any buried electrical, phone or gas lines in the area of the dig. Many will do a locate for nothing.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2006 10:36 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How are you supporting the screen?

The only outdoor screening I have been involved has been building hung cloth. Pictures

Make sure that you get in touch with local residents (if any) and avoid going on too late. Keep the noise down.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2006 11:09 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These screenings will be happening in the woods of Northern Quebec, so city regulations are not a problem. The location is pretty sheltered so wind should not be a major factor. What about canvas as a screen?

-paul

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2006 01:02 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pre-primed canvas would work fine, assuming you can mount it on a frame. Pre-primed canvas is painted white at the factory, and can be custom ordered in fairly wide rolls.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-07-2006 02:36 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drive-ins have used plywood and corrugated steel facings for years, with good results. You're not going to have any trouble unless you plan to be as close to the screen as the average indoor viewer might be.

Properly primed and topcoated, plywood will serve just fine. For that matter, you're not going to be running an excessively large picture anyway with 500 watts through 16mm, so just keep it simple and have a good time with this.

There aren't any "drive-in" paints out there anymore. Use a flat white latex paint. The white that most stores use for tinting bases works well.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-07-2006 02:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...I've seen a Drive-In screen that used masonite sheets for the front surface.

Too bad that a smooth side of a building couldn't be used as the screen.

-Monte

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2006 04:53 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our latest addition to our theatre was a new 60 feet wide outdoor screen. The screen surface (picture area) is actually 25 x 59 - made out of corrugated steel, primed with Galvite primer and finished with two coats of Sherwin Williams A-100 FLAT white paint.

Our supports are 9 - 24" diameter utility poles drilled 9 feet into the ground. Randy is absolutely correct when he corellates sailboat and screen surfaces. We've had some 60+ mph winds come thru already, and the screen's still standing.

For what you're doing, I don't see why painted plywood wouldn't work.

Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2006 06:08 PM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Beaver Meadows Visitor Center of Rocky Mountain National Park used a large, painted plywood screen in thier auditorium on which they regularly presented a 20 minute 16mm film. I saw this film and set up countless times and never saw anything wrong with it. They did get an actual theater screen this last year when the installed a new DLP projector with a new High Def movie.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-08-2006 02:04 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you know the direction of the prevailing wind in your area, try to make your screen perpendicular do that direction.

Generally speaking, prevailing winds in the northern hemisphere are from the west. Having your screen face either north or south would face it out of the wind.

If you're in an area like the side of a hill, you might have funky wind directions. Go to your site and put some ribbons on tree limbs near where the screen will be. Watch them for a few days to see which way they point. That'll, at least, give you an idea.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: