Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound Problem, NO sound in Theatre?

Author Topic: Sound Problem, NO sound in Theatre?
Josh Mitoska
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2006 06:47 PM      Profile for Josh Mitoska   Email Josh Mitoska   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so at the end of my last set the sound goes out in a theatre. I had been having problems with the reverse scan reader coming loose. That was not the issue, the booth monitor is getting sound, and when I switch to the processor switch on the monitor I still get sound in the booth, but no sound in the theatre? I have a dolby CP100 for a processor, I tried the test tone and also get that in the booth but not the theatre, I checked all the breakers, and all the amps are on? Any Ideas-thank-Josh

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2006 07:21 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, does your booth monitor have the ability to monitor both the sound going into the processor and the sound coming out of the amps. If so, see if you are getting sound out of the amps. If not, check the wireing in back.

If the wires are fine, there should be a volume nob on the back of the amp. Note the position it's in, and just turn the nob back and forth. Sometimes the brushes get worn out in one area and just need to moved. I had this problem in Marietta once, and that's all that I needed to do fix the problem, and yes I did put the volume dial back where it was when it started.

Josh Mitoska
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2006 08:09 PM      Profile for Josh Mitoska   Email Josh Mitoska   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have it figured out, loose wire on back of speakers

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2006 10:25 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of them at once?!?!? Not saying it didn't happen, but that's an amazing coincidence. Or do you run with a mono set-up?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2006 10:53 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Josh Mitoska
Ok, so at the end of my last set the sound goes out in a theatre. I had been having problems with the reverse scan reader coming loose. That was not the issue, the booth monitor is getting sound, and when I switch to the processor switch on the monitor I still get sound in the booth, but no sound in the theatre? I have a dolby CP100 for a processor, I tried the test tone and also get that in the booth but not the theatre, I checked all the breakers, and all the amps are on? Any Ideas-thank-Josh

You might have a failure of the blue(I think) tantalum capacitor on the fader card in your 100. These caps just about all failed and it kills the fader voltage line and you are left with no sound in the room. I've repaced at least a dozen of these tantalum caps over the years.

I am certainly alarmed at this line even if it was not the issue.....

"I had been having problems with the reverse scan reader coming loose. That was not the issue"

Hard to believe the NCS tech didn't take care of that for you when he was there... like I said... there are service people and then there is service.....

Hope you get the 100 back on line. Its a battleship processor! We have lots of spare modules for them if you need any.

Mark @ CLACO

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-28-2006 07:54 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the monitor is working correctly; then the processor & amps must be OK. Look "after" the amps. (speakers/wiring.)

Loose red reader? This is a service related issue. What brand? What is loose? LED? pickup assembly? Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: