Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Synchronising audio cd/dvd to projector

Author Topic: Synchronising audio cd/dvd to projector
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2006 04:21 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who shows rushes for film production. Currently his setup includes a mag dubber for the sound. More often, companies prefer to provide the audio on dvd or cd rather than film. What is the easiest way of syncing this type of audio with the images on the projector?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-21-2006 05:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the device often ones locates the timecode for the slat pop and then locks the TC generator to that amount on the visual for the slate

Daniel Weber
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 06:27 PM      Profile for Daniel Weber   Email Daniel Weber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may not be the BEST method but it is a method that works for me.

I will guess the mag dubber is connected to the projector via a bi-phase method. The dubber can playback a 24fps SMPTE longitudinal time code track that can in turn trigger a computer based audio editing system.

Some special(but not too expensive)hardware is required, I use a MOTU midi timepiece av sync unit that will create a word-clock sync signal (from in-coming LTC) to drive the sound card at a hardware level so that it will lock to the projector, even if the projector speeds up or slows down somewhat. The sound card must accept word-clock and SMPTE (I use an antex studio card). You must have software that can start trigger to smpte (I use SAW, Software Audio Workshop) One has to figure out the SMPTE offset to get it to sync up but I don't find the process to be too difficult.

Good luck, Dan

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-01-2006 09:15 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both the JSK (USA) and the CB Electronics (UK) make excllent biphase to timecode generators and of course there is the spice box that Sonics uses

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: