Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 'Lawrence of Arabia' in 70mm @ The Heights - 3/17 and film jam a the Ziegfeld (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 'Lawrence of Arabia' in 70mm @ The Heights - 3/17 and film jam a the Ziegfeld
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2006 01:02 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Heights Theatre, Minneapolis, MN will be running a DTS 70mm print of 'Lawrence of Arabia' for one week, starting March 17. And while it's rare enough to see 70mm engagements around Minneapolis, its even more rare to hear DTS at the Heights.

Info Here

I'll be up there for the Saturday or Sunday matinee, too bad opening night is St. Patrick's Day [beer]

[ 03-28-2006, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lyons ]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-21-2006 01:47 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ziegfeld Theatre in NYC is slated to play "Lawrence of Arabia" in 70MM, March 24-30. [thumbsup]

Sorry no print sound format info available at this time.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2006 01:35 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this in 70MM DTS a couple of years ago at the Senator Theatre in Baltimore with a brand new print on a sound system maintained by Steve Guttag. I was not impressed with the sound mix at all.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 10:51 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attended the 7pm show last night, and I'm in agreement with regards to the sound mix. It could pass with a 35mm print, but so many scenes could've benefitted from extra screen channels. Those Sensurround subs sure sounded good though! This show was plattered, split between the intermission, as TJ wasn't around that night. Not that Tom couldn't have ran changeovers, but they are doing a week's worth of shows. The print has obviously been around with only a vertical scratch visible during the brightest desert-scapes & some head/tail dirt in the second act. No JJ scratches, though! [thumbsup]

This print was really beautiful though. A perfect window to the desert. I can't imagine how the shot of Lawrence emerging from the Sun's Anvil could have been viewed on any other format. He literally starts as a speck on the horizon, faintly visible in 70mm. I was floored [Smile]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-23-2006 12:09 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ziegfeld Theatre starts their 70MM engagement on Friday. It will be a DTS soundtrack version.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 03:13 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the Picturehouse Cinema at Greenwich in London last Saturday to see "Lawrence of Arabia" in 70mm (Mag Sound), it was a one off and sadly a poor turn out.

I would be interested to hear what sort of responce in admission from the Public in numbers at the Ziegfeld.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-23-2006 04:18 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope The Heights got a good turnout for Larry. I had the honour of visiting this theatre in November 2004 during the AMIA conference at Minneapolis. It's everything anyone could wish for of a neighbourhood cinema - a lovingly restored and maintained building with a long historical background, and at the same time wonderful technical presentation, diverse programming and a strong local following. I hope to get the chance to visit again someday.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 04:39 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure their weekend shows were well attended. Last night's Wednesday performance (the eighth of nine screenings) had a small crowd, enough to fill up some of the middle rows. Some folks seemed to be there for the nostalgia of the film, but just as with Oklahoma! in Todd-AO, there will always be a good collective of 70mm enthusiasts around Minneapolis that get out. If you click on the 'equipment' tab on their sight, Rich Landry has written a new synopsis of the Heights' booth & its importance to not only their immediate community, but Minneapolis/St. Paul cinema in great detail. Most rep houses in town are known to glaze over details of their presentation & focus more on their available content, but Tom's whole crew has done well to respect & hold onto their patrons.

I always feel sorry for the suburbanities I live around who claim to have never even heard of the Heights. It's like they've never seen in color before.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 02:17 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo,

You're welcome back in Minneapolis any time!

Bill Carter

-
Leo at the console of the Heights Theater's Mighty Wurlitzer

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-24-2006 06:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I made and posted this image a couple years ago. Seemed like a good time to repost it.
[Big Grin]

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 07:33 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
I attended the 7pm show last night, and I'm in agreement with regards to the sound mix. It could pass with a 35mm print, but so many scenes could've benefitted from extra screen channels
I think the great thing about the Inner Left and Inner Right is the ability to avoid having effects in the Centre channel to keep same purely for dialogue. It makes a huge difference. I recall watching "Godzilla" some years back in 5.1 and then in 7.1 (SDDS) and the clarity of the latter was fantastic.

(Great picture BTW Bobby!)

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 08:41 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a second, Bobby, for the great picture!

John Mc.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-24-2006 08:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've ran it in just about all its formats. The DTS track is no better than the mag tracks... L.O.A. always had an awful track no mattter how you hear it. The imagery of the film far offsets the bad tracks though.... HAve fun running it [thumbsup] .

Mark

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-24-2006 10:09 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
L.O.A. always had an awful track no mattter how you hear it.
Finally someone says what I've always thought! [uhoh] I've never understood the worship of some of those old movie soundtracks. Maybe they were good for their day, but modern film sound recording and playback technology is lightyears ahead.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2006 12:00 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
It could pass with a 35mm print, but so many scenes could've benefitted from extra screen channels.
Keep in mind that LOA was originally mixed with only three stage channels. The LC and RC channels of the original 6-track prints were created when sounding the mag prints, combining the L and C and the R and C (and reducing the volume of the new channels in the process).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: