Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Theatre owner will need lots of help! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Theatre owner will need lots of help!
Raymond Watson
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 09:00 PM      Profile for Raymond Watson   Email Raymond Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[beer] Cheers to you all,I have read post from 95% of you and most are very knowledgeable. Thanks for all the info. that you didn't even know you gave.

Question #1... What in your minds.....are the 3 most important things I can do to be profitable,and make a go of this thing?

Last year I aquired the 3rd oldest operating Theatre in the state of Arkansas. I don't know why I just bought it?!@!$^&$%&
[Confused] It is very challenging for me as I had never even been in a proj. booth before.(I found myself asking some very elementary questions) But just as always I jumped in with both feet (the $30k price was not too bad) and have been on the long road to restoration. The place was a mom and pop house that had been trashed,although the building was in great structural shape. I removed the seating,concession stand,and have replaced all proj. and sound equipment. Century MSA 1990 model (like new) and a crummy optimax II lamphouse (2000w), and a christie AW3 Elf (I will only be using the 2 platters) from The Nixon Library in Yorba Linda (L.A.) CA., Got a Dolby CP200 from another guy in L.A. with a SRA5 and speakers and new amps from a used equip dealer in Memphis
I am just now getting to the point that I will need some Technical help. My silly and uneducated questions will be posted here if I can get answers that way. I have been an industrial electrician/instrument tech. for 17 years and know and understand that part of the show,but I would have trouble even putting a print together. Basically I don't know shit about the movie business ,but on the other hand I have only failed on one thing in my life (and that was my Ex wifes fault)
and I do not plan to start here.

Question #1... What in your minds.....are the 3 most important things I can do to be profitable,and make a go of this thing?

Theatre is an Art Deco design built in 1930 and revamped in 1938,will seat only 200 or so, single screen 16'x31' rural area 50 minutes drive to a multiplex, 30 minutes to next theatre.
maybe some of you have ideas that can help,and that will help keep and old Dinosaur like the SCOTT THEATRE up and running for another 75 years. hope to show 2nd run movies, Friday thru Monday. Different movie each week. (I have seen others like me do that) My presentation will be a very good one as I believe that is the most important facet of the show.

I have a projectionist to put together and run the films, he is old school and I am having a hard time getting him to do things the way they should be done. He got used to some very bad habits of the previous owners,but he is coming around and loves the good equipment he has to work with, and will take good care of it.

Again thanks for all the help I have already recieved,and for all those silly questions that I will be asking in the future.

Ray Watson [Confused]
Scott Theatre Scott Theatre
Waldron,AR.
75 years and shes still a beauty [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-17-2006 09:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray -

I own a theatre almost exactly like yours -- single screen, built in 1930, 200 seats (actually 194 now), competing theatre 45 miles away, multiplex 100 miles away. I've been in the biz 27 years as of March 14.

Here are my 3 suggestions:

1. Keep it as clean as possible, and pop fresh popcorn every night. No dumping it out of bags in front of customers.

2. Fix it up as much as possible. Picture and sound are most important of course, but don't neglect your seats if they need upgrading. Remember you are competing with easy-chairs and HDTVs back home.

3. Book the movies as fast as you can. These days you can get most films on the break if you don't mind paying the rent -- and it WILL pay off in concession sales.

Welcome to Film-Tech, you will find everyone here to be very helpful. Just watch out for the very strange land of Film-Yak, the goings-on there are uh, a little wierd sometimes.

Raymond Watson
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 10:45 PM      Profile for Raymond Watson   Email Raymond Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike

I am currently finishing the new concession stand and will use the very old Cretors that came with the place(works good).
When I asked around the stale popcorn,bad seating,bad sound,and old "gas station bathrooms were their main complaints.

I am in the process of doing away with all of that.

They also showed movies 8-10 weeks after they came out.

It was like they were trying to shut their own doors.

I got some really good used seating(all I could afford)
They will go in right before the new carpet does.

auditorium has been painted and new screen is up, shined light on it 3 days ago.

I have had to completely rewire the place (can you say FIRE HAZARD)and that has slowed me down.

Clenliness is momma's big thing and that should go without saying,but some theatres are pretty nasty.

I have asked the movie companies to let me show 2 films per night on the same screen,and you would have thought I called their momma a 2 bit whore....... I would do really well with that business plan but they cut me off at the pass on that one.
They said they let drive-ins do it because they are a dying breed!!!!!!!! and I AM NOT A DYING BREED!!!!!!!!!!!!a single screen 75 yrs old................. in podunk Arkansas???????

When you say "right off the break" do you mean when they first run the film?, or after first run has started and some of the prints are moving out of the first run theatres?

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2006 12:44 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike is right on with everything he said.

The only things I would add are:

1. Try to learn as much about running the projection as you can. Eventually you'll need to run the show, or help with a problem.

2. Consider getting a booker. Wouldn't cost much with a one screen theatre (they typically charge by the screen). A good one will have insight on what would do well, and makes sure your not paying too much film rental.

3. Try to keep your costs as low as possible without effecting the customers experience. Examples: turn the thermostat down when the theatre is closed. Change the filters on the HVAC. Try to find the best price you can on supplies. Play Coke and Pepsi off each other to get the best price. Profit is the cost of effiency.

The studios will let you play two different movies at the same time, but only if the movies are older. Studios have different policies depending on the age of the picture.

"On the break" means playing the picture on the national release date. Anything else is playing "off the break".

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2006 01:40 AM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to ask where Waldron was... but mapquest showed me you are correct...

PODUNK!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-18-2006 07:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcoms to Film-Tech and the best of luck with your new endeavor!!

The old NATO saying of good Sight, Sound, and Seats still seems to hold true out here. Many of our customers keep their seating up to date with what their customers like. Same for the projected image and the sound system. Also don't forget that your room's acoustics are an integral part of your sound system!!
I'm not a concessions oriented person but I do believe that your patrons will dictate what happens there.....

Can you please post a few photos of the place?????

Mark

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-18-2006 09:32 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run a 1941 single screen art house in Montgomery Alabama. I feel your pain.
What they guys above said. Shorter version, make it a place people WANT to go to, want to leave their homes to go to. Also, develop a "personality" to the place, it can't be a McMovie theatre. Let the audience know that you are the person behind it, and if there is a problem, you are the person to complain to. If you do it well, they will compliment more than complain.
As for profitablity, there's a reason they don't build single screens anymore. We're a non-profit, but we still try to keep from losing money. You may have to get into the resturant business to make money. Or find other things to do with the building on non-movie nights. You may be the surrogate community center for your town.
You may also want to check out the League of Historic American Theatres for contacts info and advice.
And in case you haven't already, get a subscription to Boxoffice magazine and get their annual Buyer's Directory.
Good luck, it is a noble cause

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2006 09:47 AM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A simple suggestion but talk to your customers and get their feedback, what they like about the place and what they'd like to see you change, then when you do it they'll be totally loyal and return over and over.

Regarding booking, you'll have to run commercially successful things to survive but book some occasional special shows, something that will never come to the multiplex nearby. That'll maybe get you some customers that aren't ordinarily coming for the commercial hits, but then when they check out your place they will be more likely to support it on a regular basis.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2006 12:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About playing movies on the break:

What we do here is play 7 to 10 movies a year on the break. They usually have to run for 2 weeks, sometimes 3 weeks. That's where a booker can help -- they will recommend the films you should take a chance on.

The rest of the year, we play movies that are about 3 to 5 weeks old, and we play them for one week. Anything over 6 weeks old, forget it -- it's too close to video. (Unless it's a special case, like a "March of the Penguins" or an Oscar-likely film.)

We probably "stack" two films about 8 or 9 weeks out of the year -- usually in the off season (Sept, Oct, early spring) and there again, the booker gets permission from the studio and has a lot more leverage that you might by yourself.

One other suggestion -- get a website. Once designed, it's pretty easy to maintain and you'll be amazed how many people will use it to see what you're playing.

Most important, have fun! I have never regretted my decision to get into the business and I still can't wait to get to the theatre every night. The enjoyment increases whenever you make improvements that show you're putting money back into the business.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2006 01:40 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray, I've run a single screen built in 1936 since 1998 when we re-opened after a complete restoration. My town's population is about 2100 with only around 4000 in the entire county. Our nearest "multi-plex" is a three screener about an hour from here. We've been turning profits ever since we opened the doors.

One more suggestion to add to the great advice you've already gotten. Consistency! Once you've got your schedule established, stick with it. Don't adjust the start time for your first show of the evening. This might seem really obvious, but there is a small rural theater about an hour from mine where you never know if there is going to be a show on any particular evening - especially week nights. To make matters worse, the answering machine is usually not up to date at that theater. People like having the first show of the night always start at the same time.

I agree with Mike on the importance of having a web site. The number of hits per day really varies on my site, but there is always some activity. Besides the usual movie information, try to include lots of information about the history of your theater plus pictures. If you're doing a renovation, post the before and after shots. Also include a picture tour so people can get a glimpse of the booth and other behind the scenes areas that are found in abundance in most old theater buildings. I'm trying to compile some shots of the dark and dank bowels of my theater, but its hard to get good images without professional flash equipment. Most people have no idea how the picture gets on the screen. I've been asked several times after a show If I could "just rewind it back to that great shot about half way throught the film". I usually then take the person up to the booth so they can see the equipment. The comment I've heard the most is "I thought you just put in a tape or DVD" Lots of people think Digital Cinema has been widely used for years [Roll Eyes]

Good luck and Have Fun!
Steve

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2006 03:34 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may also want to do some offers like buy your cinema ticket today and get food half price etc, as long as it doesnt leave yo out of pocket,

What i used to like about my old cinema i used to go to before it closed is that they did a kids club every saturday morning before opening, They used to get loads of custom back then,

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2006 03:32 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Raymond Watson
They said they let drive-ins do it because they are a dying breed!!!!!!!! and I AM NOT A DYING BREED!!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM NOT EITHER.... and I am a 3 year old twin screen drive-in.

To the studio who says that..... [fu]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2006 03:46 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ray!

I don't know how long you've been in the area where your theatre is but one of the most important things you can do is learn what your demographic is. Don't book your theatre like a metro theatre. And be very involved in your community. Best of luck.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2006 02:00 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Robert Allen.

The Prytania theatre in New Orleans is a single screen which does nicely because it's an involved fixture of the neighborhood. They'll run foreign/art films mixed with current release popular product like SW & HP, & it's mainly the community around that is their customer base. Even the families that go for Penguins/HP-type fare apparently don't attach any stigma to the theatre also running more adult-oriented foreign films, etc. or avoid the theatre because of it, because the theatre integrates itself into the community & maintains its unique positive image as an independent & serving both the "highbrow" & family-type needs of the community.

From what I understand, the biggest problem for single screens is agreements requiring running a film past the time it's still got legs. For a multiplex it's no problem, they can just dump it into one of the closet-sized auditoriums. But a single screen has to just keep a title folks aren't paying to see in the theatre. It's dumb, nobody makes any money, the theatre & studios are actually *missing* money they could be making, & different arrangements should be available for single screens.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-21-2006 12:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Hooper
a single screen has to just keep a title folks aren't paying to see in the theatre. It's dumb, nobody makes any money, the theatre & studios are actually *missing* money they could be making, & different arrangements should be available for single screens.
You're right. The film companies are interested in keeping "screen count." If they were to book a lot of single-screeners for one week, the count would drop in week 2 and the movie would look bad.

There are probably hundreds of single screeners (mine included) that would be willing to swap prints with a neighboring theatre for week 2 so the screen count would stay the same, the film co and us would make more money....but they don't want to hear of it. We'd probably play a one- or two-week old movie nearly every week (and pay the higher film rent!) if it wasn't for their two week minimums.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: