Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Prt Ultra and platter reel?

Author Topic: Prt Ultra and platter reel?
Jorge Canales
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 12:37 PM      Profile for Jorge Canales   Email Jorge Canales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I was in need of some advice. Do you guys recommend the use of the goldberg platter reel with this rewind table? Do you think the table is sturdy enough to handle the weight? Are any of you specifically using this combination?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-21-2006 11:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would make sure that the support columns on the motor end are securely anchored down with the allens (you could drill a dimple in the support columns for the allen to really get a grab on). If using that reel on the free end, make sure that the columns are also secure.

Make sure that the spindles in the adapters are not bent and sturdy..then take it slow on the wind.

-Monte

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-22-2006 11:50 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Monte's ideas are good, but I would like to add one comment... The PRT Ultra table was designed to accomodate a 'one hour reel.' The exact weight of a 'one hour reel' varies, but is probably about 25-30 pounds. A Goldberg platter reel can hold more than 2 hours of film. With trailers, ads, and all the other 'important consumer messages', you could have upwards of 70 pounds on that platter reel. Or, to put it another way....

You could place more than double the intended load on the spindles.

You can adjust the tilt of the spindles; make sure they are level. I would follow Monte's ideas, in the order he listed. Especially the last part! [Smile]

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: