Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best Sound Mixes of 2005

Author Topic: Best Sound Mixes of 2005
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2006 01:55 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems as if I cannot recall any truly stellar sound mixes from this past year, save Batman and Sin City. Thoughts from all you film handlers? I'm in the mood to listen to something really really good.

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-16-2006 02:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. and Mrs. Smith had (IMO) the best sound mix of 2005.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2006 02:24 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Batman Begins was stellar, if not a bit too hot. I'll second Sin City. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was well done too.

Oliver Pasch
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 09:47 AM      Profile for Oliver Pasch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best sound mix: KING KONG

Most disappointing mix: EPISODE III...

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 10:24 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Episode III was a major dissapointment. What happened there? Episode I and II both had great mixes, with II being the best of the bunch.

AJG

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-17-2006 10:37 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Episode III had a pretty good mix. At least it sounded pretty darned good at the theater where I watched it, as well as on my home DVD setup.

Sin City had a decent sound mix, but I don't think it was great. Some of the sound effects were potted down too low and some of the dialog (narration stuff in particular, like Marv's story) was mixed way too hot.

I think King Kong will win at the Oscars on the sound categories.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2006 07:52 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I know a lot of people on these forums will disagree, I really liked the sound in War of the Worlds ... though that might have been more for the design than the mix.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-20-2006 10:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Mr. and Mrs. Smith had (IMO) the best sound mix of 2005.
No wonder there's going to be a big-budget remake in '06! [Big Grin]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2006 12:06 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walk the Line

Hannes Helfenstein
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2006 07:45 AM      Profile for Hannes Helfenstein   Author's Homepage   Email Hannes Helfenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best sound mixes 2005:

King Kong
Star Wars: Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith
War of the Worlds
The Island
Munich
Batman Begins

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2006 08:33 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wholeheartedly agree with Brad. MR. & MRS. SMITH sounded awesome.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2006 11:54 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walk the Line suffered from Master & Commander disease, when it's loud, it's very loud... etc

BTW SWEP3 sounded better in analogue

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2006 04:28 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, i also agree that I expected more of Episode 3,
also Phantom Of The Opera sound great for me!

Kris Dirix
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2006 05:21 AM      Profile for Kris Dirix   Email Kris Dirix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Call of Cthulhu, special the dialogues.
[Razz]

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2006 02:32 PM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From all that I have heard, Phantom of the Opera was the champion for me. Yep..!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: