Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cleaning xenon lamp (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cleaning xenon lamp
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2006 10:14 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have acquired a new lamphouse that has an old lamp in it. I am going to have to put up with the old lamp until I can afford a new one. Whilst cleaning the reflector I touch the lamp. My question is would it be ok the clean the lamp using some alcohol wipes to remove any grease?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-16-2006 10:51 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember that we swabbed newly installed xenon lamps with alcohol-soaked clean cotton editor gloves before buttoning up the lamphouse. Just a precaution to get any inadvertant knuckle prints off the quartz before striking it up.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-16-2006 12:18 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie used to package an alcohol wipe with each lamp, specifically for the purpose.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pure alchohol and a lint free cloth is what I've always read.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-17-2006 02:35 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, pure isopropyl alcohol can be used to gently remove any fingerprints. USE PROPER SAFETY EQUIPMENT AND PROCEDURES! [Eek!]

If you leave the prints on the lamp, they can etch the surface, eventually causing a lamp failure.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 03:32 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told to use Denatured alchohol. Is Isopropyl the right one?

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2006 05:16 AM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denatured alcohol is simply ethanol that's had stuff added that makes you go blind if you drink it.

Isopropyl alchol is propan-2-ol, and is much better for cleaning. Tastes better, too.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-20-2006 06:35 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ethanol will make you go blind if you drink it!

Denatured alcohol is ethanol mixed with acetone and METHanol, thereby rendering it undrinkable.

The problem is, as much as ethanol is good for cleaning things, methanol and acetone, even in small amounts, can destroy plastics. Therefore, don't use denatured alcohol on plastic without testing to see if the stuff attacks the plastic.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-20-2006 10:30 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pure (anhydrous) isopropyl alcohol (2-propanol) should be available "behind the counter" from most pharmacies. "Rubbing Alcohol" is usually isopropyl alcohol with water as an impurity (usually 70% or 91% purity are "over the counter" rubbing alcohol).

Methanol or acetone will definitely attack some plastics, including triacetate film base.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2006 12:22 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
The problem is, as much as ethanol is good for cleaning things, methanol and acetone, even in small amounts, can destroy plastics. Therefore, don't use denatured alcohol on plastic without testing to see if the stuff attacks the plastic.

but we are talking about cleaning the quartz of lamps here. not plastic. is denatured not allowed to clean lamps?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-20-2006 12:58 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The issue is that the chemicals used to "denature" ethanol vary. Probably safe for quartz, as long as there is no residue.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-20-2006 01:59 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Miller

we are talking about cleaning the quartz of lamps here

You are correct. As long as you are cleaning the glass, it's probably okay to use denatured. Just be sure there's no resudue left over. Wipe the glass completely dry. Make sure there's no white, streaky junk left behind.

I mentioned the problem with plastics because there are a lot of people who think if a little of something is good, then a LOT must be better. I've seen people spraying alcohol all over the inside the projector. If they did that with denatured alcohol and the acetone attacked the plastic parts inside the projector, they would be SCREWED!

Just doin' a little C.Y.A. [Wink]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2006 02:10 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isopropyl alcohol may taste better than methanol, but it's still not a recommended beverage. It's oxidized to acetone rather than acetic acid, & causes gastrointestinal bleeding. Drink isopropanol & poop blood.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-26-2009 03:58 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1129 days since the last post.

Paavo Mardi
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 03:58 AM      Profile for Paavo Mardi   Email Paavo Mardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!
Can I use acetone instead of alcohol to clean xenon bulbs?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: