Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm tone and pink noise (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 70mm tone and pink noise
Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2006 02:53 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We desperately need some replacement 6 track 70mm pink noise and 1kHz tone loops for line ups.

Anyone know anywhere that has this in stock please along with price per foot?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2006 03:16 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if you find out, drop me a line!

In all seriousness, have you talked to Dion? He was involved with the almost roadshow efforts with '2001', which was probably about the last time any was striped.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2006 03:34 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried last year searching for the 70mm Dolby Cat131 & Cat132 Tone/Pink Test Loops, from what I found out last year, Dolby Labs in the UK no longer stock it, But I was able to order the 70mm Dolby Tone (I belive) and that was through Jack Roe Group.

Also could try Bell Theatres if they have any left in stock left

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-14-2006 07:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which films do you need the tones and noise for

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-14-2006 08:19 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon raises a good point, for quite some time the Dolby tone and pink was unique to EACH PRINT as there were some variations in levels and response depending on the lab laying down the tracks.

I'm not sure if there ever was a true standard for either Tone or Pink that could be counted upon to be valid for most (or all) prints....

Maybe Sam Chavez knows?

edited spellin..

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-14-2006 09:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, most were title specific, although I've found that (as an example) one Universal print to the next Universal print was generally pretty close.

quote: Gordon McLeod
Which films do you need the tones and noise for
Indeed this would help. One of us may have an exact match we could loan you.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2006 02:16 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point that, although it would be nice to be able to get some fresh stuff, just to be sure that the kit is working at all from time to time, it's not fun to get called in 2 days before a 70mm screening, check the sound through with the prints own town and noise (if any), and find problems, which you then struggle to nail down to the kit or the print.

Still, it's so little used these days that I'm not surprised that the economy police have killed off production of test films.

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2006 06:14 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick

Give me a call & I will see if we can help.

Jonathan

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-15-2006 09:02 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, title specific. However, the "Dolby standard" (higher level wider tracks) are all nearly the same. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-15-2006 10:40 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found Universal was very consistant title to title but even dolby encoded sounded at other facilities and different oxides were all over the place on both level and EQ.
I kept one loop of noise and tone for any film I ever aligned so I have a very large stash of material and I used to make R2 comparison files to the teccon loops but I lost most of those and the teccon test material is no longer available

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-15-2006 10:54 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
I found Universal was very consistant title to title but even dolby encoded sounded at other facilities and different oxides were all over the place on both level and EQ.

I've never dealt with this, but it is an interesting subject. For Gordon or Louis: In broadcast equipment, switching tapes around was discouraged, because many tapes required different recording bias and eq settings. However, these settings were used to bring the tape's PLAYBACK as close to the NAB standard as you could get, so they could be played back on most anything. From that background, I'm curious why there should be any real deviation on films that would require print-specific tone sets at the playback site... unless the labs didn't have their recorders calibrated to the same standard in the first place???

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-15-2006 11:00 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm recordings did indeed wander all over the place as to level and response. You could not even trust the recording direction to be the same as the picture frames as there were diferences in level and EQ running "Heads Up" and "Tails Up". I had one 1000 Ft. roll where the recording was clearly done tails up and projectionists would invariably, if they were any good, thread it heads up but the dialouge was backwards. I even had one test roll where the mag stripes were somehow applied to emulsion side and stuck yet.

Tom Holman did some great work getting different studios to get onto one standard and staying with it as there was a big print run on wither Return of The Jedi or Indiana Jones that could not be filled using one recording facility.

The quality of the HF response improved to the point that Dolby MPU preapms had to be modified to lower the mid and HF response to "flat".

The last 70mm Mag tracks I saw a few years back came from a British faclility and the Mag stripes were so thin you could see through them. Sounded pretty bad too.

I, like Gordon nce had a giant box of loops on every 70 release, but they are probably in some warehouse at Dolby Labs.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-15-2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite was receiving some test film in advance of the film and then finding the R-1 can also had test film for the feature...the two test films did not agree with each other on level or response. Which do you go with then?

The problem is when the test film is sounded versus when the print is sounded and how things have worn at that point. The goal is to have test film that was sounded at the same time as the print was so you have a match.

One trick I've used with great success is to play the "leader" of the print and listen for the "slate" which is normally some guy stating what the track is and also the sync pop. The sync pop will often give you a good feel for the channel balance on the reel since it is applied to all tracks. At the Uptown, we ran an old print of Raiders that had faded a bit...there were complaints on the sound until I came in on my Saturday shift and ran the slate...I set the levels based on the slate tone and whola...everything came into balance AND the levels were now tracking right for the Cat 22s. The problem was that Raiders was pre-1983 and the recording levels were lower (as were the tracks skinner on the heads themselves). This lower level had the NR circuits mistrack.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-15-2006 09:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
often if I have a title with no noise available for I will play a reel with only one channel live (centre) and adjust by eaar what sound acceptable then run a noise loop and set the other channels to match and then replay the reel listening for music and other variables

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-15-2006 09:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If I don't have actual noise and tone, I start with a loop from the same vintage/studio if there is no noise or tone on the leaders. I then run the actual film and get the LCR balanced and sounding good, then add the surrounds and sub tracks until I am satisfied with the overall sound. It isn't perfect, but there's not much you can do without the proper loops.

What I hate is when some bonehead has "built" a good print between multiple prints! Almost always the sound quality changes drastically at their splices or between reels. [Mad]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: