Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Orc 1000B distance from aperture?

Author Topic: Orc 1000B distance from aperture?
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2006 02:50 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me what the distance is from an Orc 1000B lamphouse to the aperture plate? I've checked the manual but it doesn't seem to mention it, unless of course I missed it.

|  IP: Logged

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2006 03:42 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are asking what I think you are, just place the snoot on the lamp up against the rear of the projector. That usually work for me.

Don

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2006 04:00 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used this lamphouse on 3 different projectors. I've also found the best distance is right up against the projector.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2006 12:56 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most all of the early ORC brown & cream colored lamphouses had a working distance of 7 1/2 - 8 inches from the front bulkhead (Not the lens cone) to the film aperture..This applies to the X-16. X-35, M-1000, X16S, 1600, 2500 series lamphouses.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-14-2006 03:36 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
From my M1000 manual:

-

-

Don't forget the Beam Spreader for 35mm. I've seen these lamphouses on 70mm projectors but have no idea of how well the aperture frame is lit or what is the working distance.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help guys, and thanks for posting that scan Phil.

I have mounted, what the manual calls, the 'negative lens' with the concave side facing outward. Would this be correct?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-14-2006 04:42 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The flat surface of the lens should face the screen; the concave surface toward the lamp.

Same with the Strong Super Lume X.

BTW: Make sure there are no fingerprints or oil contamination on the lens, it will crack pronto.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-14-2006 07:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil that should be strong Lumex not the super lumex

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-14-2006 07:18 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
You sure about that, Gordie? I have no experience with the Lume-X, only the Super Lume-X and I've always used the Beam Spreader lens for 70mm...and the heat filter for 35mm.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-14-2006 08:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The beam spreader for 70 I use but I thought you were refering to 35mm use like the M1000

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-14-2006 08:57 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, my post was confusing. For clarification:

M1000 16mm: Nothing or a (Dichroic) heat filter to help block IR.
M1000 35mm: Beam Spreader (Negative Lens). Flat surface towards screen.
M1000 70mm: Ain't got no clue! [Smile]

Super Lume-X 35mm: Nothing or a (Dichroic) heat filter to help block IR.
Super Lume-X 70mm: Beam Spreader. Flat surface towards screen.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-30-2007 02:23 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 469 days since the last post.

Gordon Burke
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2007 02:23 PM      Profile for Gordon Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
M1000 35mm: Beam Spreader (Negative Lens). Flat surface towards screen.

The manual available on Film-Tech shows the curved surface toward the screen and the flat toward the lamp. Is there something in the drawing that is backwards? Can someone verify?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: