Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kelmar Rewinding Bench felt clutch pad?

Author Topic: Kelmar Rewinding Bench felt clutch pad?
Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2006 06:14 PM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently got a package of the felt clutch pads that go on a Kelmar rewinding bench off eBay. If you look at the manual for the Kelmar RTV-8900 rewinding bench, this is Kelmar part number 720324, or #38 "Disc, Felt, Clutch" on the exploded diagram.

My question is, are these things supposed to be oiled? The bag they came in has a light yellow oil soaking these things. The one on the bench at work is dry, or so I think. What's going on here?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-09-2006 06:50 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd fathom a guess that the old clutch pad has dried out.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2006 08:16 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did your dealer sell them to you with oil on them? I'd demand a refund! I've bought several pairs of Kelmar felt clutch pads in the past year or two, they ALWAYS come dry.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2006 09:48 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Neumade Ultra clutch is dry as well.

Don

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-09-2006 10:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I always run my clutch pads dry, particularly on running reel to reel. That way I don't have to deal with the variance as the pads dry out over time. Same for the rewind bench.

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2006 04:13 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help, guys. They were purchased on eBay for very cheap (like $8 including shipping), in a lot of 21. However, I feel like a doofus, as I found out tonight that the Kelmar RTV-8xxx series does NOT use the pads I bought. (The ones I bought are 4" OD / 2" ID) They're likely for the hand-crank rewinder or something like that.

Oh well. It's no big loss, especially since it was a personal purchase, and not one done for the company.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-10-2006 04:49 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But, not a complete loss. They could be the pads for these Kelmar arms here.

Do they look like this, which is depicted here in the parts section?

If so, you could resell them back on "eBone" and someone would easily grab these especially if these pads that you have in your possession ARE the ones for these Kelmars and you post this information in your auction posting ...

-Monte

-Monte

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2006 06:41 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the manual you posted, the felt clutch pads appear to be the same ones, or very similar to, ones used in the Kelmar RTV-8xxx series of bench rewinders. The felt clutch pads used in the reel arm you mentioned, as well as the ones on the 8xxx rewinding benches, appear to be about 5" OD / 0.5" ID, while the ones I have are 4" OD / 2" ID. Here is a picture of the ones I have, for reference:
 -

The auction wording was vague, but it did state, "These are friction pads for a Kelmar rewinder." So, if Kelmar made them, perhaps these are intended for use on a hand-cranked rewinder or something of that nature?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-10-2006 01:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kinda funny and interesting, but these look like felt pads for the take-up assemblies for open reel tape recorders. They are about the right size...

-monte

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-10-2006 01:36 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like I recall the old instructions for Kelmar reel arms wanted you to put a couple drops of oil on the felts when installing them.

[Confused]

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2006 02:40 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those pad appear to be woppolini (cinemeccanica) type for the 10k & 14k take ups and they were oiled from the factory. It looks like you got taken by the very common 'vague' descriptions provided by some on Epay...

Gary H. Pecherkiewicz
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2006 11:20 PM      Profile for Gary H. Pecherkiewicz   Email Gary H. Pecherkiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As per Kelmar Systems for clutch care:

"The Felt clutch discs have been given an initial lubrication at the factory with SAE 40 non-detergent oil. It is suggested that the clutches be cleaned and examined periodically. When lubrication is required, the use of heavy non-detergent oil is suggested. Do not over oil."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: