Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP-50 VS. Home Theatre Receiver with Dolby Pro Logic decoder + Preamp (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP-50 VS. Home Theatre Receiver with Dolby Pro Logic decoder + Preamp
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 04:21 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was considering to base sound system for on low budget theatre around some receiver who has Dolby Pro Logic Decoder inside, for pre amp i would use mine own pre amp with input for sound heads from both projector, HF setting, Gain setting..and after Pro Logic Decoder i would use 32Band EQ's for each channel and then power amps for each channel.

Considering that sound from pre amp is very good and level is OK can i get better decoding than with CP-50? Because i saw on CP-500 signal flow chart that analog Dolby SR is decoded by Pro Logic Decoder?

Also I'm considering to put Dolby SRA5 SR Decoder between mine pre amp output and Decoder input to get Dolby SR noise reduction, but this is only option because is hard to find SRA5.

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 06:01 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll recon that the cost to get a Home Theater Amplifier and 5 32band eq's will be the same that getting a new CP45!!! or even a Smart Dev or a DTS or a USL Processor. Since you will be using power amps to power all speakers. Have in mind that you will need a phono to line pre-amp/mixer with Hi-Mid-Low eq on either channel to be able to correctly trim the HF level input from your projectors' sollar cell or reverse scan reader. Also grounding is very important since 99% you will have buzzing unless you use a common ground for all equipment and maybe even the sound reader (if it is a reverse scan reader). You will need to ground the mixer/pre-amp VERY IMPORTANT. I believe it does not worth the hustle if you will use external power amps and external eqs. If you want to save costs though I would reccomend going with a YAMAHA RXV-1600 or 2600 which have 9 band eq built in for each channel (It's not 32 but still is good enough if saving cost) and therefore eliminate the need for external eqs. Also how many speakers will you be driving? The above mentioned Yamaha are quite powerfull for a small theater using 4-6 surrounds.
D

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 11:03 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today i calculate price of mine system, and including all taxes i must pay $5300 for all equipment (including pre amp, receiver/processor, EQ's, power amps's, cables, connectors, speakers..) and CP45 is $5400 including all taxes i must pay to get it, don't mention that i must buy all other things....

And i making mine own preamplifier for cells which has got:

balanced input for stereo cell's from two projectors,
GAIN and HF controls
automatic changeover between projectors and auxiliary inputs, and aditional bass-mid-high EQ.

so after this pre amp i connecting pro logic processor, also i think to connect Dolby SRA 5 to get SR noise reduction.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 11:15 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a similar thing with my first setup, except I used a Dolby A301 unit from a recording studio. It worked! I used an NEC Dolby Pro Logic decoder which had a remote control. I could sit in the audience and change balance etc. The only problem I never addressed well was the equalizers, (I used stereo units) but today they have a bunch of them that would probably work to give you the 1/3 octave adjustments you need.

All things considered, I'd go with a Dolby CP unit of somekind. But it was fun getting it all to work

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-28-2006 11:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a theatre in Heber, Utah that used an A-301 up till just a few years ago. I think the place is closed now and obviously these owners coulda cared less about playing proper sound formats. The system in there was originally installed by Jim Fosgate of FOsgate Audio fame who lives in that part of Utah. I believe that it was Peter Scheiber and Jim Fosgate that actually invented the Surround Sound encode-decode process and it may even be that Dolby and USL still pay these guys royalties on the patents. Being clear it was Jack Cashin that invented and added to that system the idea and technology of stering audio channels to eliminate bleed thorough between channels.

Mark

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 12:22 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had forgotten all about Fosgate. Boy that brings back some memories

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marin,
It can be done, considering some factors:
1) External noise. Such a set up, even without NR, or even in stereo only, used to be the "norm" (hopefully now is in demise)for summer open air theatres where audience is subject not only to movie sound, but of that of the external environment (nearby traffic, music from adjacent taverns etc.) In these cinemas people ar interested (or used to be) in the whole experience of watching a movie under the stars with the evening "aroma" and light food and drink. Sound quality (except for extreme bad sounding situations) was not a problem. Worth to note that at late hours fader stil is turned down at heavy inhabited areas.
2) If cost is indeed an issue, and you are using 60 year or so projection equipment. (In this case it is advisable to abandon busines)
3)If you are trying to built a personal screening room.

In any case a cinema processor is still preferable. Using CP50 though, cat 150 is an issue. Recent home decoders heve better steering then the older Cat150 (B-C) cards. Pro logic II preferably. Slit loss Eq also is better in a dedicated cell preamp than "fakeing" it with a console or mic preamp.

Christos.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 04:14 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In setup with mine own pre amps i got sound to noise ratio about of 60 dB when 0% modulated film is played without any kind of noise reduction. Also i got reader flat up to 14 KHz with slit loss eq..... and i think this pre amp of mine is good.

Also i think that pro logic decoder are better than cat 150's in CP-50.

A Dolby Model 363 has A/SR system and is also good and is may bee easily to find that SRA5.

But i think this version with Dolby SR attached to system (SRA5 or Model 363) is pretty good and i think also including some good pro logic processor, 32 band EQ's you won't get much better from CP45 than this system?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I would use a CP45. They are pretty limited. (EQ and such)

The thing about a CP system is it's all nice and compact and has everything you need. All the junk I had plugged together took up a ton of space. I think the 301 unit was about 12 or 15" tall.
Wasn't the 363 just a single channel version of the 301? Or am I thinking of something else?

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 11:37 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No 363 is two channel unit and 361 is single channel unit. Both are having Dolby SR or A type noise reduction. Also Both are using Cat. 300 modules.

Is A301 unit is Dolby A noise reduction system or what?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 12:38 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The A301 unit is a 2 channel Dolby A processor used for recording and play back. I got mine from a New York recording studio. Probably some really famous folks recorded something through it. At least that's what I'd like to believe

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 01:36 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marin

I have worked in a cinema that used a home theater processor and it sounded very good, the surrounds had a much nicer sound then the other auditorium that used a CP 50. The only problem was it had no NR and on a few prints background noise was apparent. Have you though of just using an LM1894 Dynamic Noise Reduction IC which are made by National, they only need a few external components and the one IC does both left and right. I have never used one so I can't coment on how well they will work with film sound.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-29-2006 06:08 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the one week point is that the consumer prologic usually do not have a sufficient delay line

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 06:38 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Gordon, forgot about that. The Yamaha processor I used allowed for a good time delay, can't remember what nor can I remember what model it was. You could of course add an extra delay cct for the surround channel..... after all this effort just go and buy a second hand processor. I kept looking and finally found one that was cheap and had all the features I needed. Its an Assosiated Sound processor made here in Australia.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 07:33 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have you though of just using an LM 1894 Dynamic Noise Reduction IC which are made by National
Yes i worked with this but isn't much improving, also has some degrading to sound, is used in Smart processors for mono format.

quote:
the one week point is that the consumer pro logic usually do not have a sufficient delay line
Yes i think on this also, and Behringer DSP8024 32 band digital graphic eqlaizer has delay option, so you can set delay! So i will use this one for surround speakers eq.

quote: Paul Trimboli
after all this effort just go and buy a second hand processor
NO!!, when i calculate price of whole system is $100 than CP45 here!!!!!!

For front system i will use Wharfedale LX-15 spekers with LX-15B subwoofer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: