Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Failures Of Kelmar LED-Scanner Supplies

Author Topic: Failures Of Kelmar LED-Scanner Supplies
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-25-2006 09:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the the last year we had close to a dozen of the beige/gray color supplies fail. Another one yesterday! All were on the order of 6 to 7 years old. Typically they fail at the dam Molex connector but I have also seen traaces and components behind that Molex burn up as well. The bizzare thing is that this is all low voltage and current stuff and a Molex shouldn't be failing at all. Anyone else experiencing this problem? We have been replacing them with the small CE power supply as its alot less expensive and seems to be built better...... Its certainly alot more repairable!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2006 05:16 AM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have replaced a half dozen of these over the past couple years and I think my boss has done about the same amount. A couple were in the black boxes too, not just the older grey ones. I think the fact that most of our houses are running digital masks the problem.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-26-2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the initial Kelmar supplies were capable of operating at up to an amp on the LED. Originally we were told these were "preset". Later we changed the output resistor to a higher resistance so we could get the LED current down to 225 ma or less. I have seen 1 or 2 of the grey boxes with this problem. Usually we change the lens (on analog) along with either the box or the resistor.

Changing the box is no longer an option since it is no longer available. The new analog Kelmar black box is significantly better than what you saw in the past; complete redesign....courtesy of Thomas Mohr.

Let's not even speak about the older CE power supplies....Purdy era. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-26-2006 07:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

I agree... Some of the early CE stuff was Purdy bad..... I have been using the LS-40 power supply if we don't just yank it all out and do a BACP. The LS-40 has a list of $120, pretty hard to beat its bang for the buck. It has several advantages over Kelmars new design and is built alot better. Nothing against Thomas though... we use lots of his stuff.

Mark

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-26-2006 07:22 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

I can't have you trashing Bill Purdy like this. That's my job! Kidding!

The fine memories of going to the first installation and finding an audible 400 hz note coming from the LED. That turned out to be only the begining of trouble. I had a heart attack not too long after.

I do use the current version CE power supply with my DP75 readers with great results.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-26-2006 08:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LS-20 supplies definately had issues...you could tune that tone by breaking the inductors and moving the coils around...

The LS-30 is a great supply and the LS-40 is very good too, though I like the LS-30 better.

I haven't cared for any of the Kelmar supplies, including the Black one...poor current range and even oscillations with the thing...I'll stick with CE for such things.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: