Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » WinDRAS freaks out in record mode?

Author Topic: WinDRAS freaks out in record mode?
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-24-2006 08:54 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, everyone.

We just got a DA20 here at MIT and have complimented our existing DTS install with Dolby Digital. WinDRAS 1.0.4.2 seems to work fine in normal mode, but if we set it to record to a file and start it, it "freaks out." It seems to run at around 10x speed and shows only Fs and weird dancing trapezoids, and all stats are nonsensical. Though it does notice and stop if the cable to the processor is unplugged.

This is under Windows XP on a laptop (Dell Inspiron 3500) with a real serial port (COM1).

Any clues? Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Also, oddly, running DRAS10 (under DR-DOS) produces an error like "cannot get processor type" while trying to connect.

Of course WinDRAS works in normal mode just fine, so this is mostly academic.

What I really wanted to do was to leave DRAS running all the time on this laptop (dedicated for the purpose) so you could switch to it and look at the state of things at any point during a normal show. Just for "hack value." It seems a bit easier and more straightforward to do so under DOS than Windows...

Any thoughts? I did a search, but didn't find this topic [freaking out in record mode] at all...

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-25-2006 12:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I believe the record feature on 1.0.4.2 is a known bug. Officially, 1.0.4.2 is not a release version. However, it is the version that will "See" the error level on many/most (possibly all) modern prints. Version 1.0.3.6 and dos DRAS10 will record properly though they may not see the error number (but will know if there was a failure).

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-19-2008 06:31 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 755 days since the last post.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2008 06:31 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Steve,
On this subject, at the beginning of 2008, we still haven´t got a DRAS version that CAN record as well as showing the CORRECT error rate?

Thanks,
Andres

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-19-2008 07:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Version 1.0.4.4 works properly. It is available for download from the secured Dolby site.

Steve

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2008 09:34 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Steve,
Thanks for your reply. Version 1044 indeed works! I have downloaded it succesfully.

A friend of mine had seen that version on Dolby´s secure site some time ago. But, at that time, when downloading it he couldn´t execute the file.

All is well! Long live Dolby!
Andrés

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: