Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projectors RCA FR-35 DP and KN-15 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projectors RCA FR-35 DP and KN-15
Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2006 06:38 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going through some 30 years old issues of Cinematographer I found
two different projectors I´ve never heard of. One is a (probably)
Russian 35/70mm machine "KN-15", and the other is an RCA FR-35 DP.

The RCA was probably some kind of studio machine, but since the
ad stated it was supposed to project onto big screens (lamps up
to 4500 watt xenon could be used) I´m curious if it was installed
in theaters as well.

Anyone who knows anything about the two?

Thomas

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-22-2006 08:26 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive the RCA was used for a lot of telecine apps
It was a electronic intermitent and to a large extent looked like a FP20 in many ways
I beleive it was based on the eprad patent using a feedback servo stepper system to drive each of the sprockets
It was also used as a rock and roll dubbing machine often paired with the RCA dubbers

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-22-2006 11:27 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure that the RCA was based on the EPRAD patent. RCA was a company that never but never paid royalties to any other company or individual... Philo Farnsworth was about the only exception to that which I am aware of and that was after a decades long lawsuit that ultimately destroyed Farnsworth and ruined his health.

After RCA was gobbled up by GE the RCA projector people later set up on the west coast and the resultant designs eventually became the Westrex Electronic Projector which was largely run by Charles Fox. Fox later sold Westrex to Christie where it became the Christie electronic projector. Charlie Fox is still around and so are his electronic projectors. His company is called Showperfect Charlies projectors also ran in many Showscan venues. For those that are interested in how they work there are also many schematics on their web site.

BTW: The first RCA FR35 was a big disaster and had tons of ptoblems but the later FR35B was quite good and extremely reliable. The B model could run at 24 or 30 fps and do either standard "theatrical" pull down or TV pull down just by changing a suitcase jumper on one of the boards. About the only bad thng that a B model could do was blow a servi rail fuse and send a full reel of film running at 30 rpm to an instant 30,000 rpm... ok, I', exagerating a bit but it went really really fast instantly! Always damaging what ever film was on the reel.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-23-2006 11:40 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The RCA unit was a pain to service but gave me steady service calls and standbys long time ago [Smile] The KN-17 is the Russian portable projector identical in construction to the East German TK-35 with slight exceptions in the take up assembly.....and of which has a better designed knockoff in the Phillips FP-3 portable.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info about the RCA machine. It looked very
futuristic, a nice looking machine actually.

Richard. The Russian projector I mentioned was KN-15, not KN-17.
It´s a 35/70mm machine, and it looked anything but portable. Do
you know anything about it, or where to find some info?

Thomas

Alejandro Lopez
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2006 12:31 PM      Profile for Alejandro Lopez   Email Alejandro Lopez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi: Put the pics of the KN-15 and I´ll try on my archives and some European pages to find information for you. I´ll thank an scan of the articles too, both KN-15 and RCA projector (and pics too cause I´d like to see it). Best wishes.

Alejandro.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-23-2006 01:41 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KN30K projectors which I assume are the most current 35/70mm projectors are distributed by Tento of Moscow....KN17 / 20 are portable 35mm. Some of the KN machines have been imported to France, Africa, India.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2006 08:49 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the KN 17 have a big wooden drive gear and wooden gate runners? There is a guy I know who has a pair of Russian made portable 35mm but he does not know what brand they are, but the fact the main drive gear is wood is a bit of a worry.... then again the Russians used treated oak for their re-entery heat sheild! [Smile]

Alejandro Lopez
Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2006 07:41 AM      Profile for Alejandro Lopez   Email Alejandro Lopez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It´s not wood but Celotex or so. You´ll find many projectors with gears from that material.
Alejandro.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-24-2006 09:46 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phenolic - Celotex...no. The KN has a wood drive gear. There is a local Cuban technician who had to work on scores of the machine to rework the main drive gear due to swelling in the high humidity in the Caribbean.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2006 12:52 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The RCA machine I'm familiar with is a Brenkert with an RCA label on it. I ran a couple of them years ago in Southern California.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2006 07:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Richard. The grars on my pair of KN's are very definately made from wood. The grain is clearly visible too. The pressure skates are also made from what appeears to be the same exact wood.... Probably well aged Vodka crates.....

Mark

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2006 07:26 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are parts even still made for the TK-35s and the KN 17? I would assume there would be people in Germany still making parts as there seems to be alot of these machines running. Are they any good? They look nice and small and are very simple in their design.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-24-2006 07:49 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
This is sooo exciting I can hardly contain myself....... [sleep]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2006 09:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats a matter Phil, Somethin bite ya in the ass? [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: