Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie 35GPS aperture and turret motor timing

Author Topic: Christie 35GPS aperture and turret motor timing
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-21-2006 03:21 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the manual, the motor on-times are set with trimpots on the PCB on the non-operating side. I have a relatively new location in Mexico (1 1/2) years which complained about the aperture not going up and down far enough.
This looks like something which should be quick and easy to adjust. But - since the location is several hours away and I will only have time to go there for one day, I want to take all potentially needed spare parts with me.
So, in your experience, is this a problem that is usually cured by adjusting the trimpots or are there potential other problems? When the motors are overtimed the first time, does this lead to deterioration of the drive wheels because they overrun for too long and wear down too much? Could the motors be timed correctly but the drive wheels are slipping because of mechanincal misalignment?
I don't think I will find problems like excessive dirt build-up in the aperture area which would jam the plate since the operators in that location usually clean really well. But I will still check that, of course.
BTW, how are the motors timed on older versions of the Christie projector?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2006 09:37 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found that it was nothing more than a small turn of a trimpot. I adjusted ours about 6 months ago and haven't noticed any negative effects. Ours "overrun" about one second, in my experience, not much more is needed, and if it is, perhaps the aperature plate is sticking?!?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-21-2006 12:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to adjust the timming with the gate hot after a normal feature film is run. Allowing the projector to get to operating temperature matters alot with this adjustment. When its hot the parts expand and the aperature generally slows down even more.... I believe this is a 555 timer circuit who's timming is also greatly effected by heat.

Happy timming adjustment!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: