Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Stupid Movie Title? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stupid Movie Title?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-15-2006 11:42 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the Kapolei today to see TRISTIAN & ISOLDE thinking it was based on Richard Wagner's opera but it was not. The movie was ok but this thread is not a review about that movie but a poster I had seen in the lobby that had troubled me. There it was in a display case in large white letters against a black background with a cigarette circled in red that read THANK YOU FOR SMOKING. It first I thought it said Thank You For Not Smoking but when I looked at the poster a little closer, it did say THANK YOU FOR SMOKING and discovered it was a poster for a movie that is coming soon from Fox Searchlight. As a non smoker, I found this poster very offensive because some idiot in the theatre after seeing the poster and not realizing it was for a coming attraction might light up and start smoking in the auditorium in violation of state and city laws. I asked the ticket taker if the poster had aroused confusion about the theatre's non smoking policy and she said it did with some patrons. Have any of you seen this poster and and if you did, what do you think?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-16-2006 09:39 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen the poster...however, our company sent out a notice telling all the theatres not to put up the poster do to the misleading title. This topic probably needs to be moved to the Yak or Ground level forum.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still waiting for someone to make a movie called "Closed For Repairs" or "Out Of Business".

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-16-2006 01:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree it's a stupid poster. In Montana we just passed a "no smoking in public buildings" law, but bars are exempt until 2009. Having a poster like this certainly could confuse people that they're entering a "smoking area." We probably won't play the film so it's no difference to us, but the poor Carmikes in Billings may have a problem.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2006 02:01 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen this poster and I told my staff not to put it up because all I needed was someone to start smoking

Edit: Here is a picture of the poster for anyone who does not know what it looks like  -

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2006 02:03 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the poster up. It's been up for about two weeks. As far as I know, nobody has tried to use it as an excuse to smoke in the theater. It has gotten a lot of notice though, people ask about it ... so the poster and the title seem to be doing their job. (well, whether it will actually bring people to see it, I don't know, but it gets them to talk about it anyway).

==

How about entitling a film "Free Popcorn This Weekend" or something like that?

On the flip-side, I have actually had people asking what "Now Hiring" was about.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2006 03:19 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone cares. Taken from the Fox website. Blame me for stealing!!!

quote:
Thank You For Smoking Release: March 17, 2006 Written and Directed by: Jason Reitman Based on the novel by: Christopher Buckley Producers: David O. Sacks, Edward R. Pressman, John Schmidt, Alessandro Camon Cast: Aaron Eckhart, Maria Bello, Cameron Bright, Adam Brody, Sam Elliott, Katie Holmes, David Koechner, Rob Lowe, William H. Macy, JK Simmons, Robert Duvall

The hero of THANK YOU FOR SMOKING is Nick Naylor (Aaron Eckhart), chief spokesman for Big Tobacco, who makes his living defending the rights of smokers and cigarette makers in today's neo-puritanical culture. Confronted by health zealots out to ban tobacco and an opportunistic senator (William H. Macy) who wants to put poison labels on cigarette packs, Nick goes on a PR offensive, spinning away the dangers of cigarettes on TV talk shows and enlisting a Hollywood super-agent (Rob Lowe) to promote smoking in movies. Nick's newfound notoriety attracts the attention of both tobacco's head honcho (Robert Duvall) and an investigative reporter for an influential Washington daily (Katie Holmes). Nick says he is just doing what it takes to pay the mortgage, but he begins to think about how his work makes him look in the eyes of his young son Joey (Cameron Bright).

D

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2006 03:33 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to the film, good satires are few & far between.

It's sad to live in a world that might require a 'CAUTION: JUST A POSTER' disclaimer [Roll Eyes]

Speaking of stupid titles... Tristan Is Olde?

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2006 06:12 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't have the poster up, but I would fail to see the confusion. If it's put up in a poster case, like other movie posters, then what the heck is confusing? "Kill Bill" posters didn't encourage anyone to kill someone nambe Bill, so how is this any different? We have no smoking signs at the front doors, so maybe that changes my thinking.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-17-2006 11:12 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Anslem, you're overestimating the intelligence some members of the public. There are people out there who WILL stand next to that poster and light up.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2006 09:30 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's absurd. Give your customers a little more credit. Besides, once the marketing machine starts, all your customers will know that it's a movie and what it's about.

Let's not get hysterical over trivia.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-22-2006 12:42 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,

Go back and read my post again regarding the ticket taker telling me about the confusion the movie poster has caused with some of the people who have seen it. Just by the fact that the thread "Rant On Stupid Customers" at the Ground Level forum has 477 post as of tonight indicates that you are very optimistic about the mentality of some of the people who frequent movie theatres.

-Claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-22-2006 05:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Just by the fact that the thread "Rant On Stupid Customers" at the Ground Level forum has 477 post as of tonight indicates that you are very optimistic about the mentality of some of the people who frequent movie theatres.
Hahahahaha. If only we had a "best retaliations" quote list of the forums, this one would certainly be in it. [thumbsup]

Let's face it, customers is stupid! [Razz]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-22-2006 07:06 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Optimism is a good thing, said cynical Uncle Frank. [Wink]

Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2006 11:07 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this poster is up in two of our theatres and has caused a lot of confusion but no actual light ups in the theatre. As far as the poster goes it is extremely effective, and the movie looks damn funny too, I'm surprised it is a Fox release. I think I would have had something a little larger and more indicative toward the bottom to show that its a movie. The "coming this spring" is pretty weak.

Also I think it would be easy to confuse it between a poster and a message. Poster cases are used for things like anti-piracy messages and advertisement for DTS etc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: