Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » RE: Valley Fair 9 pictures (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: RE: Valley Fair 9 pictures
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-15-2006 02:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just a comment on the pictures that was submitted of the Valley Fair 9 in WVC (which used to be Granger, Utah).

I used to live in SLC in the mid 70's and visited this theatre quite often when it was just the Valley Fair 4.

The 4plex was one of the more nicer multiscreen places in this area at the time-being a first run house back then.

The picts of the booth is what really "shocked" me - on the massive change that took place upstairs from what I remember.

Booth was one large square booth with two Kelmar tables in the middle. Booth was fully carpeted with a section of the booth, on the end of the Kelmars having somewhat of a "living room" quarters-sofa, end tables with lamps, coffee table, small kitchenette to the side, et.al. Course, this was a union booth with fully staffed operations.

The front two houses, being the larger houses, used those Cinemeccanica V8r machines with the 13k reel transports mounted inbetween the automation console and the side-shooting lamphouse. Above these units were motorized hoists to lift those 13k reels to the upper spindle of the transport.

The two smaller houses each actally had two Cinemeccanica V4E units running 6k reel automatic changeovers with the Cinemeccanica vertical lamphouse using 1600w bulbs. Obviously, it looked like the V4's were replaced with the V5's when the additonal screens were added (or larger houses split since I haven't been there since the 5 more screens were added).

Thx for the picts, and it's glad to see the Cines are still in use there. The 9 plex is one of the more busier discount places in SLC.

-Monte

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2006 03:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

Whats left of the VIC-18's(what you thought were 8R's)are comming out in a few weeks and VIC 5's are replacing them(SIC!). The new machines are already in the booth. They just lost a mirror in one of the lamphouses a few days ago from a lamp explosion... odd too as they don't run their lamps past warranty at all. Its a dollar theatre that I wouldn't consider watching anything at, mainly a kids place and always noisy. One of our part time shop techs is the projectionist there. This theatre is the counterpart to the Cinemark Dollar Cinemark located in Sugarhouse. The Sugarhouse location is actually the busier of the two although its smaller.

Mark

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-15-2006 04:25 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the earliest theatre memories I have. I saw "Fox and the Hound" there. Nice to see it's still open.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-15-2006 07:22 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx Mark, I forgot about changing to the V-18's - which I had at the twin in Nampa.

Far as I'm concerned, those V8r's were far much better machine than any Simplex or Christie that I've ran - outside of some slight oddities that import machines can be known of.

Thus, I loved those machines where I've heard that some couldn't stand the V-8r setup.

Wow, too bad that they had one pop in where they were using those glass mirrors, for when I was working at my twin and running 2.5k bulbs in those vertical lamphouses, I could help but being concerned on popping a bulb in there. When I did bulb changes in these lamphouses, I made doubly sure that the bulb wasn't being tweaked in any way or form and was allowed to expand when the bulb was in operation. If one puts the upper clamp on wrong that braces the anode pin, the bulb can easily tweak thus would explode.

Luckilly, we did have a spare mirror (in which my 'boss' has in his storage unit..when he pulled the operations out of the twin..

Yes, the Sugarhouse Cinemark Dollar theatre always looks like it's a nonstop, busy place the times I would go by there - being right where it almost dead center to the residentual area of Sugarhouse and Highland.

That location is perfect for this form of a operation-being in a more compact area, whereas the Valley Fair 9 is more out there in a more open area.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2006 08:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Monte,

I believe the head does say V-8r on it but technically speaking they are VIC-18's. The VIC-8 and the VIC-10 were the only two really good machines they made. The rest are right up there with the ole pot metal Simplex...... I have a number of VIC-8's still running... Twin Falls, West Yellowstone, etc and all of them are 35 plus years old and they still look and run like new. That in itself says something! Hell will freeze over before a VIC-4, or VIC-5(or a Simplex) would go that long......

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-15-2006 08:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark properly maintained the VIc 4 and Vic 5 will run almost forever
The Vic18 was actually not a projector iteself but the combined transport system and it usually had a Vic 8R on the front end

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 10:47 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just looking at the pictures, please excuse my ignorance? Why is the lamphouse mounted on the side? I've never seen this model before, so I am just curious.
Rick

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-15-2006 10:52 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I have a number of VIC-8's still running... Twin Falls, West Yellowstone, etc and all of them are 35 plus years old and they still look and run like new. That in itself says something! Hell will freeze over before a VIC-4, or VIC-5(or a Simplex) would go that long.....
I'm sure Rick could take you on a tour of hundreds of V5's running almost as long, and looking like new, next time you're in the area Mark.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2006 11:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Mark properly maintained the VIc 4 and Vic 5 will run almost forever

That may be the case where there is proper attention available to them but that is not the case around here. I am not sure that the 5 has been around as long as the 8 or 10 has been Daryl [Smile] . I wonder how many sets of belts those Vic 5's have gone through? Of course the cost of maintaining the 5 is quite high... like a P-35 is.... belts yearly, especially at remote locations. The 4 was alot sturdier machine but never produced the high quality image the 8 and 10 did and was a bad leaker. You guys can have your 5's! The 5 is a piece of crap no matter what anyone says..... Not even close to what they used to build. All the 4's around here are long gone....... [thumbsup] I'll take an 8 or a 10 any day though.... they exemplify the meaning built like a brick shithouse.

Richard,

The lamphouse was at a right angle to allow the large reel transport to fit right behind the projector and feed straight in and back out.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-15-2006 11:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rick . Here is a pic of the V-18 setup

-

As you can see, the transport is between the rear mounted automation cabinet and the lamphouse. With the transport as big as it is, the lamphouse was place to the left of the machine and light which fired from the lamphouse, hit a mirror that would angle the light through the machine. One can see the angle in that cover plate with housed that mirror.

Focusing the bulb in this Cin V-18 setup was quite the feat in itself: There were actually two mirrors in that lamphouse-the main one and a very small prefocus mirror that was located in front of the bulb. The prefocus mirror would reflect the light back to the main mirror.

Then all of this light would go out to the mirror, in which itself had azimuth adjustments as well to get all of that bent light out through the machine. When focued correctly, the light output was exceptional.

This was the V-18 setup that I played with for 6 yrs. Later on and before I started here, the owner placed a CHRISTIE AW2 ,gear side of the unit ( and operator side of the unit for the other house - being they had two of these V-18's and you can barely see the other V-18 unit in the background of this pix) since the theatre's "booth clowns" couldn't operate the rewind assembly too well-by which they would absolutely destroy reels of film by leaving the rewind assembly unattended (being an all manual rewind operation without any form of automatic shutoff system attached to the unit) since they had to be downstairs all the time and no proper management training was available.

When I got there, I used the reels from time to time-to keep the system in good operational order. I had these units running exceptionally smooth and knew every inch of these V-18's - where I determined that these were 100 times better than Simplex any day of the year.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2006 11:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good shot Monte! Isn't that one of the old Odell(of popcorn fame) theatres????

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-16-2006 12:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea Mark. This is the booth of the Karcher Mall Twin in Nampa, which is all but empty now.

Each auditorium held 350 seats-quite a good sized count for a twin in the early 70's and the only new theatre in the Nampa area at the time until "Crapaplex Odeon" dropped their 6 screen in the Shopko Plaza in 1989 and where I work at now. Then in early 1990, the Karcher Twin went to discount when the 6 opened up, owned and operated by you know who.

Then, when EDWARDS 14 came into town, goodbye to LCE and the 6 plex and goodbye to this twin as the twin fell off the edge of the cliff in a sudden heartbeat.

Then, the 6 became the town's discount theatre and is presently in operation to this day.Now, I'm playing with 1050's, X-90's, at this 6 plex and wanting my V-18's back.

This exact same setup was also used in the Plaza Twin in Boise, which is also all but empty now. Ths Plaza in Boise had a larger seating arrangement-480 on one side with a smaller 220 on the other. The booth arrangement at this place was almost identical in setup to the Karcher - wide, spacious with big windows and with V-18's on each side...and union operated.

Later on, two years before the Plaza went down, the V-18's were taken out and Simplexes were installed with Drive-In platters - being now a staff operated theatre.

Virgil O'Dell opened all of these theatres (along with the Vista in Boise and the Nampa Drive-In in Nampa, which was located close to the Karcher Mall) and operated his butter topping manufacturing in this area as well. When Virgil passed on in 1979 the Odell's Butterfat went to Reno, then from where, I've lost track of.

-Monte

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-16-2006 12:17 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am not sure that the 5 has been around as long as the 8 or 10 has been Daryl [Smile] . I wonder how many sets of belts those Vic 5's have gone through?
I guess 20 years isn't quite almost 35. I'd rather have to talk an idiot through changing a belt than a gear though and the cost of all those belts probably falls short of one stripped gear in a V8 too.

Don't think I'm knocking the V8s. They're a better machine, of course, but from past experience if they're left to be operated by idiots I'd rather leave them a V5.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-16-2006 12:44 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After looking at the original booth more carefully, I erred in my original descrition above: I mistook the machines in Nos. 3 and 4 as V-5's, but they are also V-8r's with the added Zenith lamphouses- but using the same pedestals when the paired V-4e's were originally there for these two houses.

Yes, the original square booth is the same, but drastically changed -from a comfortable work place for operators to a more common M/O operation.

Just got thrown a bit wondering on why a Drive-In LP-270 was sitting in the middle of the floor being so far away from a machine, until I noticed the 4 decks for two machine usage.

(and the other booth has one of Charlie's "StupidPlatters" hanging around...lol)

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2006 07:28 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our dollar house chain during the 90's I had Centurys, Pro-35's, XL's, Christie's, a pair of V-4's and several V8R's. If I remember right the V-4's (leaked a lot) and the V8R's were the ONLY projectors I never had a service call on. They are heavy and parts are horribly expensive if you have to purchase them new but they are built to last. [thumbsup]

Don

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: