Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 5 Deck Platters

Author Topic: 5 Deck Platters
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 05:14 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Strong the only company who makes a 5 deck platter?
Is it any good? Have they sold many?
I'm trying to work out the best way to run a single screen theatre that has very limited space in the projection room for moving and storing prints.We also have a female projectionist who obviously can't drag heavy prints into a sleeve and lift them down from the top deck on a SPECO LP270.
Ian

|  IP: Logged

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 06:45 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 06:46 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton also makes 5 deck platter, and they are ok!

You can get 3,4 or 5 deck platter option!

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 08:18 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have sold a lot of them. They work fine. The top deck is high though.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 09:36 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

About 10 years ago we got a SPECO five plate platter, however the thing sucked it was TOO 'electronic' for it's own good.

They do however make a 4 tier LP270, we got a couple a few years ago.

Ring Hoyts and ask for the number for 'Girraween Store' in Sydney.
You might be able to pick up a used Cinemecannica 5 plate platter from them. They should have two of them, as the place I was fired from several years ago, closed down 12 months ago.
(Ask for Len. Don't mention me or the price may double! :-)

BTW: These platters can play into 2 cinemas at once (not interlocked, but the top two plates go to one cinema, the bottom two to another and the middle plate is shared. I'm guessing you could set all the rollers up to point to a single screen, not sure)

Bill.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-15-2006 02:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie also has the AW35, 5-deck platter.

Of course, with a single screen, I'd go with the 2nd projector option...then again, I'd go with that option for multiplexes too.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-15-2006 03:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's also a rare 4-deck version of the Christie.

I think that Cinemeccanica also has a 5-deck model. The Pictureville Cinema in Bradford, UK has (had?) one, though it might have been a custom job.

Agreed with Steve, though, that the second machine would take up less space and provide more flexibility in a single-screen house.

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 04:22 PM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemecannica do make a 5 deck its the CNR 5-35 they have one at the manly twin cinema it services both screens it looks like it does a good job too.
The kinoton is also very good but very pricey.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 05:29 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok that's the information I was looking for.
The other thing I need to know is whether the 5 deck platters that are designed to be used to run 2 shows at a time,can they be set up to run all platters to one projector??

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 06:52 PM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to put modern lenses and Dolby Digital readers into a single screen house, though, isn't a five deck platter considerably cheaper than buying extra lenses and an extra sound reader?

But this also gets into the mix of programming; venues used for film festivals have different needs than venues that typically only have two or three prints from the studios at any given time that are going to be shown multiple times.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 07:15 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, the Girraween Hoyts store is closed I understand - or at least drastically reduced of equipment now.

Ian, about the largest sellers of used projection equipment are Village in Melbourne with platters, projectors, lamphouses etc all available. 4 and 5 decks are not as common so you may have to buy new.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 07:19 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David
Village in Melbourne was my next call

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 07:51 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, we have a SPECO 4 deck running our two smaller houses, but the Heights Theatre up the road has the same 4 deck for their single screen, non-changeover operations. As far as I know, the current major brands' 5-deck models should come standard for two houses. I know the SPECO & AP can be setup for single house operation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: