Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Osram 2000W/H Bulb?

Author Topic: Osram 2000W/H Bulb?
Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 11:50 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to change a bulb today at our Marietta, GA theatre today, and ran into a problem. The Osram 2000W/H Xenon that was in the lamp house (Strong Super Highlight) had a spot on the negitive end to screw in a cable. But the new bulb, an Osram 2000W/H Xenon did not have this spot to screw in a cable. I checked the model numbers and they were the same. I checked the stamp on the bulbs, and they were the same. The only thing that was different was the serial numbers. What was the difference, and does Osram still make the first bulb?

Sorry, I would be more specific if I had the bulbs sitting infront of me, but I'm at home, and I don't have my new dig-camera to take photos and upload.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-15-2006 02:28 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just a dumb question here, but was that other bulb have a threaded end on the cathode (negative) side? If so, you've got an HTP version (horizontal threaded pin) designed for Christie lamhouses.

Also, it could be a GS (gap shortened) bulb in a wrong box.

True, without pics, it's kinda hard to tell, unless Osram packaged the wrong kind of bulb in that box with the matching serial numbers.

Usually, the 4 numbers are the production line sequence numbers where the first two letters kinda point out to what kind of bulb it is with the third digit, being that number being the year manufactured.

Just never heard of an Osram coming out with a /WH bulb that didn't have the threaded hole for the negative cable.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2006 10:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osram may have decided to eliminate it all together. There are just a few lamphouses that even need that negative lead any longer. I believe the Christie/Ushio 20R lamp does include that lead although to be sure I'd have to go look at one on the shelf.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-15-2006 02:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and if so, then a lot of people who have the older X-90 consoles will have to adapt the ignitor connector with the newer negative coupler to fit over the cathode pin instead of the usual cable attachment from bulb to the ignitor negative post.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-19-2006 09:01 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Osram has changed the 2000H, it used to come with the cathode wire in the box and that seems to have disappeared but I haven't seen one without the attachment hole.
But... a Super Highlight shouldn't use a lamp cable? The clamp attaching the insulating spacer to the cathode pin should have a power cable to the igniter post.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-19-2006 10:35 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just inspected a brand new, recent arrival bulb. Not only is the cable missing (not unexpected) but the threaded hole for the cable is indeed missing also. If this is a problem for you, have your dealer contact Osram about getting the hole back in future production. My guess is that it was thought that no one needed it and "cost reduction" took over. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2006 10:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better yet go with Christie lamps. Osram sucks big time! With Christie you will definately get longer life, better light, and a company that stands behind theor warranty 100%... Something Osram has failed miserably at over the last 25 yers I've been in this buisness.

My second choice would be Superior Quartz........

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-20-2006 02:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
My second choice would be Superior Quartz........
...lol, and not LTI's? .. [Big Grin]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2006 07:00 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order to get an Osram 2000W H lamp that can accpet cables at both ends you need to order XBO 2000W H CC.

I learned that today, for much the same reason as the chap above.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: