Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bizarre projector mount (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bizarre projector mount
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-13-2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
About to mount a Century head on this pedestal. There is a part missing, isn't there? [Wink]

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-13-2006 05:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

That is the Simplex LL-1 (aka Heavy Duty) pedestal. I believe it uses the same knuckle as the LL-3 (the more commong one). They are available new from Wolk, last I checked. I think Wolk also has a universal knuckle now that can allow one to mount Simplex (Century) and RCA soundheads to the same knuckle.
All Simplex pedestals used a knuckle to adapt the pedestal to the type of bolt pattern the soundhead had (generally Simplex or RCA).

Steve

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2006 06:02 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my LL-3, and the part you're missing.
 -

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-13-2006 09:12 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have lot's of these. They usually come connected to used soundheads we buy. Brad: e-mail me. Louis

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 01:02 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes ; indeed there is a part missing but the immediate help you received is amazing

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-14-2006 04:40 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Heya Grand-Poopie-BAH, taking this tread off topic cuz at this point, I really don't care about your knuckle "problem"...

That LL-1 has a really nice paint job. Was it stripped and repainted locally in Los Angeles? Any idea who did it?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2006 10:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it was done by Earl Schreib in Burbank. Cost $287.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-15-2006 12:46 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earl Schreib, or Earl Scheib? [Confused] [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-15-2006 04:38 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Grand-Poopie-BAH
...it was done by Earl Schreib in Burbank.
Cool! I'm gunna take my Hummer there and have it repainted gun metal black like Danny's LL-3! hhot!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2006 05:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It woulda been alot less expensive to have it powder coated, ot would also be alot more permanent and scratch resistant. There are also alot of cool finishes for that process many of which are not available any other way.

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-15-2006 05:45 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I've had tons of projection equip powder coated and while worth it, it is NOT cheaper than conventional spray-painted and baked methods.

It does however provide a superior physical finish performance ***IF*** applied correctly. ALSO, as with any finish, proper part preparation is vital to the success to the resultant finish longevity. There are a lot of Fly-By-Night vendors out there in the powder-painting (and in general painting) business.

I really get nervous at the projector head rebuilders that advertise saying they repaint the heads during a rebuild. I wonder if at the 1st sign of oil or cleaning (with solvent) that their painted finish will flake and peel?

I do agree that (for me) powder coated finishes are the preferred finish for most all film equip, but it's not for my Hummer.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-15-2006 07:48 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Powder finish is really the way to go. However, I find that prep must be immaculate. We bead blast, clean ultrasonically and then bake until no more oil appears. Then ultrasonic again and then bake again until completely free of oil. Only then will the finish be what you want it to be. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2006 08:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
but it's not for my Hummer.

Thats for sure... they'd never be able to get it heated evenly enough for the powder to fuse consistantly. In fact the base castings would be a problem for alot of paint shops to heat properly. We have yet to find a shop that is willing to do a DP-70 casting....... and there are many high tech powder shops in this area because of Hill AFB. We have a local Powder Coater that does all of our work. He's reasonable and does an immaculate job. I am considering doing that Loc-Tite Impregnation porosity sealer treatment to oil bath machines I do in the future... that will make them leak proof for sure..... at least till a gasket allows a drip to start..... This process may preclude doing a powder coat but I feel this process may be more meaningful to projector cleanliness than powder coating is in and of itself.

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 10:21 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
but it's not for my Hummer.

hehe, always talking about sex!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-16-2006 01:30 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, I totally agree... it's important to pre-heat the parts at a high temperature before coating to expel any oils or other impurities, and then to solvent-clean them again.

Mark, that Loc-Tite process looks interesting...

Rick, Yeah? So? Other than film, isn't sex what all us guys live for? I do! (J/K) [Razz] [Big Grin] [evil]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: