Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lavezzi VKF sprockets for Prevost? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lavezzi VKF sprockets for Prevost?
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 05:02 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do Lavezzi produce their vkf sprocket for Prevost machines?

I looked on RSEM but they don't seem to stock them for anything other than the USA machines.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-28-2005 07:22 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, but if you have an old sample, they will make them for you. $$$$$$$$ Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-28-2005 08:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually we may have them. I assume that you have a P-93.... We stock a custom VKF sprocket for the DP-70 that might fit or may be able to be easily mofified. Let me know the shaft diameter in millimeters and I'll check. I think the DP-70 shafts have a 12mm dia. but I may be wrong there..... it could be 14mm. To be honest LaVezzi is not all that expensive for custom stuff.... especially considering the quality product that you get. As long as you need quantity its alot less expensive getting custom parts made up than getting quantity parts from either Italy, Gernamy, or from BL$S. These sprockets in 100 quan. cost us so little as to not even matter much. We also stock many other custom and new/used parts for the DP-70.

Mark

-

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 03:14 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Mark, it's the 35mm intermittent sprocket for the P70. Getting it done custom made would be a problem for me because I was only thinking about getting one - not one hundred!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-29-2005 08:15 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me check and see since we also had DP-70 intermittent sprockets made up. These are fastened with the classic screw and nut through the center though, but the bore may be the same. Far as I know aren't the Prevost and Cinemecanica intermittent sprockets the same.....?

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-29-2005 10:05 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bore on a P-70 sprocket is 10.005mm and in an emergency you can use the sprocket for a Phillips FP5.
The bore on a Cinemeccanica is 8mm..........

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-29-2005 10:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, all the Phillips machines had the same dia. star shaft. Our DP-70 intermittent sprocket would fit it then but he'd have to drill a hole in the exact right place to secure the sprocket to the shaft with the screw and nut. No small feat with a hand drill on a hardened piece of metal! Easily done while disassembled....

Mark

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the sprocket fits but the bore/shaft diameter is a problem, I may recommend two possible solutions? I am unsure what the Rockwell hardness of a finished LaVezzi sprocket is, but if the bore is undersized, it can always be i.d. ground or, if the bore is oversized, a pressed in bushing might work? These are just suggestions on how to modify an existing sprocket to make it work.

K.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 11:18 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the Prevost sprockets slide on the shaft and then you tighten a nut on the end which presumably pushes out the shaft centre to create a friction fit for the sprocket.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-29-2005 11:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats very possible Will. We have done this before and use a giinding place that's local here. So far they have done very nice work for us. We also use them to do a clean up pass on sound drums and to widen the groove in the DP-70 sound drums. The VKF sprocket in the upper photo was bored out by yours truely on a lathe with carbide tooling and lots of coolant. We wanted one to place in service for 6 months before having the batch made up. Its well hardened metal I'd say a 55c to 60c or there abouts. Boring it out on the lathe was not easy but was certainly possible as you can see.

quote: Matthew Taylor
Mark, the Prevost sprockets slide on the shaft and then you tighten a nut on the end which presumably pushes out the shaft centre to create a friction fit for the sprocket.

Then it might work out for you..... Is the end of the sprocket notched to couple with a mating part on the movement? If so then we're out of luck since we didn't have the notch done.

Mark

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 11:54 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No the sprocket is just plain with a 10mm bore.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2005 06:02 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, do you reckon I could get hold of something that would work with this?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-30-2005 08:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going back to work today and eill check our DP-70 intermittent sprockets.... been home with a bad cold.

Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-30-2005 10:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked our DP-70 intermittent sprockets and they have CS type teeth as on the original Phillips sprockets. We nixed doing the intermittent sprockets in VKF because of clearance differences with the 35mm gate bands. You might fond one of these sprockets to be of higher quality than the Italian sprockets which always seem to be a bit on the rough side. The DP-70 feed and holdbacks we had made are VKF though.

I would also still need to know if your star shaft has a keyed coupling point to lock the sprocket in one position when you install it... then you tighten it down by expanding the shaft with the set screw...... Ours does not have that keyed area at the end of the sprocket.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-31-2005 01:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know in the good old days when a Norelco AA2 wasn't expected to run 70mm for some time...we used to sub a Brenkert 35mm intermittent sprocket for the intermittent sprocket on the Norelco.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: