Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 'The Producers' DTS Discs

Author Topic: 'The Producers' DTS Discs
Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 01:32 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received with my "Producers" print DTS discs that appeared like burned copies. Not only that, the labels on them looked quite professional. They worked with no problems, but I was wondering if anyone else had ever gotten/seen anything like this.

-

|  IP: Logged

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 03:44 AM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They could be burned copies DTS usually use all capital letters in there labels where as they are only lower case.
And didnt DTS start putting there website on there discs?

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 08:28 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those white labels are usually used for the open caption discs.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 12:29 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a Bollywood movie (Mission Kashmir) with CD-R DTS discs- amazingly they actually showed up with the print.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the logo & font styles look professional, the label was applied pretty sloppy. If it runs and its actually in english, I'd run with it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-28-2005 04:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably just got a screener print. DTS hand-burns discs for small runs like 70mm prints and screeners released before the pressed discs are ready. Those are their labels, so yes they are official discs.

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 06:11 PM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every DTS access disc I've ever seen (alot by now) has been a CD-R type. Mostly they have the title and e.t.c. printed directly on to the disc. More recently some discs have had a printed, round, label applied to the disc.

Given that these discs are never recorded to full capacity, a handful of minimum wage disc jockeys can probably make enough access discs for a UK cinema release in a day or two.

Alex.

Bryan Nikaido
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2006 06:34 PM      Profile for Bryan Nikaido   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan Nikaido   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
being of the poor, underpaid, undermaintained projection kind (one of the lesser well off chains), our DTS drives were pretty finicky with discs (hell, we still had drives with caddies)... once in a while we'd get a scratched disc or run interlock so i'd just dupe discs if it was a big enough of a deal (ie theater sounding like ass if we weren't running in DTS) .. they dupe just fine [Smile] or used to...)

oops .. go me for bumping and old post >_>

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: