Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anyone use laser pointers in the booth to pick out problem customers? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone use laser pointers in the booth to pick out problem customers?
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 11:50 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even know if its a good idea or not, but when I'm in the booth and people kick heir feet up in our auditorium, or play with their cell phone, I keep think it might be a good idea to have a cell phone in the booth to warn these pesky customers that are being watched. Perhaps a quick couple flashes on this cell phone? or possibly on their feet to send the message? We KNOW that they know cell phones and feet on the seats is WRONG..otherwise, they wouldnt stop doing it when an usher walks in. Laser pointers might even be useful in guiding ushers to people who all-of-the-sudden behave when the usher walks in the audtiorium. Granted, this probably shouldnt be used in really crowded theaters, but would this work as an aid for us? The theaters wouldnt even have to buy them, just implement the program as soon as you confiscate a laser pointer! [Razz]

|  IP: Logged

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 02:14 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I don't do windows. Let management worry about it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-23-2005 07:21 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've taken laser pointers from customers instead of just kicking them out? Umm...isn't that called "theft"?

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 07:29 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's even worse than theft, its robbery. Have to ask them to leave, but you can't take their property. Only cops can do that.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 09:25 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone use laser pointers in the booth to pick out problem customers?
Yes, mounted on the barrel of a 30'06 [Smile]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-23-2005 10:45 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not funny even from a gun nut.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 11:14 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

Dont' worry aboubt it.

Just get on the two-way and tell maganement and/or floor that there is someone in there with a laser pointer.

Nine times out of ten, the laser person gets 'over it' once the feature starts.

As for mobile/cell phones, 50% of patrons carry on with that during video slides/ads/trls. They get over that too.

Bill.

Ramin Hashemi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 12:12 PM      Profile for Ramin Hashemi   Email Ramin Hashemi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also consider the fact the laser pointers have a tendency to reflect off objects, which could potentially go in someone's eyes.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-23-2005 12:43 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago when the old Filmore East was up and running full swing, they had a system that to this day I marvel at. In those days of sex drugs and rock & roll, there were times when the crowd could get a bit rowdy. How they handled a trouble-maker was very simple: when the perp was spotted by any of the ushers/bouncers/brusers who were positioned around the perimeter of the theatre and who constantly watched for disturbances, the useher would get the attention of the other ushers but shining his flashlight at their heads when they were alerted, he would then shine his flashlight at the perp.

Each usher in turn would hold his flashlight above his head, aiming it at the trouble guy, and wiggling it back and forth slightly. To have 6 flashlight beams focused on your head from all corners of the theatre was usually intimidating enough. But then, if the perp continued the disturbance, even with all the flashlights on him, all ushers would move in toward him, flashlights held high, continually shaking them so the light beams would kind of ziz-zag on the guys face until they all reached him. They timed it so that all four to six ushers would arrive at the site of the problem at the same time and they would just physically lift him by the armpits about a foot off the floor and swiftly carry him out of the theatre. In almost the blink of an eye, smooth as silk, he was gone and it was over. It really was a thing of beauty to behold.

It became well known that the flashlight beams of light meant business. It was funny when it happened because the area around the guy making trouble would quickly clear as other patrons moved out of the way; they knew what was coming.

Everyone knew that if those flashlight started vibrating on you, and you didn't cease and desist whatever you were doing immediately, you had about 60 seconds before you had six brawny guys hurling you from your seat and out the theatre -- no discussion, no debate, no review.

Problem today is, managment (if you can call it that without laughing) has this modern approach to crowd control....you sell them as much concessions as they can possibly carry in both arms, then you aim them at a particular auditorium, and once they are in that box, they are on their own, never to see theatre personnel again until just before the credit crawl begins, at which time the lights will come up and two pimply teens will begin sweeping all around you, obviously greatly annoyed that you are still sitting in their way.

Of course today the exbibitor's goal is to AUTOMATE! And by that they mean, eliminate projectionists AND ushers. It's left up to poor patrons to be their own theatre security. If management could automate concessions, then they could run the theatre with out ANY human beings at all, which is, of course, Management's wet dream. I am surprised they don't eliminate the cleaning staff as well and set a bunch of Rumbas about to clean the theatre.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 02:02 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Wolff King Morrow
It's even worse than theft, its robbery. Have to ask them to leave, but you can't take their property. Only cops can do that.
We haven't taken anything. It was just an idea.

As far as:

quote: Peter Mork
Sorry, I don't do windows. Let management worry about it.

Thats kind of rediculous...as a projectionist, you SHOULD do windows...and the things that happen outside of them IS your business too. your not a hermit, your a projectionist. The sound out there IS your business, the picture out there IS your business. Pffft, I dont do windows....damn.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-23-2005 03:14 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from the perceived safety issue of aiming laser pointers at an audience member, it would be a distraction to others in the audience, perhaps more than the person acting up. Better to have a non-uniformed usher sit nearby until they act up again.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 07:23 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Frank, but I disagree. Sound, picture, heat and air-conditioning - these are technical matters and I'll attend to them gladly. Will answer the phone too, since sometimes I'm the only one unbusy enough to do it. But police the joint? Uh uh. (Okay, I'll make an exception: when it's late and management has gone home, and there's a problem I'll do what needs to be done. But no laser pointers, thanks.)

[ 12-24-2005, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Peter Mork ]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-23-2005 07:31 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mr. Pytlak, much damage can be done to someone's eyes from a Laser Pointer. [thumbsdown]

I also agree with Sam about the gun issue. A baseball bat up the side of the head would be a better solution. [Razz]

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 07:35 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I reckon this guy knows from eye damage!

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 08:08 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laser pointers also tend to remind other idiots int he audience that they have laser pointers too and they start playing with theirs.

soon the problem is worse than before.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: