Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Intermissions added to Films? Seen or added yourself? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Intermissions added to Films? Seen or added yourself?
Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2005 12:00 AM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading the 'Intermission in King Kong' topic and was wondering who has seen intermissions added to other films?

I remember that when we played "Apocalypse Now Redux" we added an intermission at the end of the 5th reel. Perfect spot since it is a fadeout of a scene and halfway through the film. Some people complained so we played it without the intermission then some people complained that we should add an intermission. Can't make everyone happy, eh.
I also saw an intermission added in the middle of "About Schmidt" at some local cinema in Amsterdam.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2005 12:56 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be 3 theatres in northern Montana that featured intermissions in every film. The people there were used to it and liked it, according to the owner. He died a few years ago -- one of his theatres closed, and the other two were bought out by a Montana circuit called Polson Theatres. They remodeled the theatres and did away with the intermissions.

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We actually had a lot of intermissions back in the 80s. In those days, we were a single screen changeover house with 6000' reels. Our projectors were Brenkerts. The number 2 machine would break down regularly, leaving us to show the whole film on one machine. So, we bought an intermission strip and placed it at the end of the first big reel until the repairs were made. Most of the time, no complaints. I think people were more easy going in those days. Also, we only charged $1.50.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-17-2005 09:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would never add an intermission to anything except out of necessity. I've had to do it a few times in booths with 6000' reel capability where there was some issue or other with one of the machines. I just add an intermission snipe to the end of reel 3 and make sure that someone announces to the audience that there will be a brief intermission halfway through the film. I hate doing this, but it's better than having to cancel a show until parts can be delivered and/or installed.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 07:37 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I agree to a point. A film's pace is dependent on continuity and a randomly placed intermission, especially just thrown in by a projectionist because it's at the end of a reel, is disrespectful to the film-maker's art and should never be done except, as you say, if it's purely out of technical necessity.

On the other hand, really long films like TITANIC, KING KONG, and many of the other near three hour epics, if the film-maker didn't have the foresight to put in his own intermission, then out of respect for my audience, I am not going to make a theatre full of people suffer due to some inflated ego or just plain arrogance of the film-maker who thinks he's more important than considering the physical comfort of the audience. I think there has to be a balance with those overly long films, tipping on the side of my patrons. And again my argument that if the film-maker can live with an intermission in the overseas markets, then he should be able to endure a fifteen minute intermission over here for the comfort of his countrymen.

And hey, as we say in Brooklyn, not for nuthin, Mr. Director, get over yourself....it's just a movie; we are not interrupting brain surgury.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 07:55 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in days of old, many theatres added an intermission to GREASE in order to pump up concession sales. They dropped those quickly as they discovered that the teenage girls that were flocking to the film so hated the BEAUTY SCHOOL DROPOUT number that they came running out in groups to by snacks.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 09:53 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic was so long (and the good parts were in the last 45 minutes) that no one would leave that late; the result was peeing in the seats. (too much Coke)

One theatre here in Kentucky anticipated this and ordered an intermission snipe "just in case." Ad mats were copied so that it appeared to be done by the film maker. This was "cut in" just as they realized they were sinking. Very well done. Louis

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 09:57 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Gettysburg" had intermission. It was almost 5 hours long.

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 11:43 AM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes, "Gettysburg." Yep, we did do an intermission for that one. Especially when it was at our DTS house, so we could swap discs for the second half. I can still hear those cannons!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 11:56 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gettysburg intermission was built in with black and music for about 6 mins. Same was done for Gods and Generals.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 12:19 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It ran at what was then the ABC Shaftsbury Avenue in london in 70mm. They ran it in two parts; part one in screen one, and part two in screen two, so you actually had to change auditoria during the intermission. Never seen that done before. Going from one extreme to the other, I've also got the Laserdisc, which I've watched letterboxed on my 14 inch television.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 12:28 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of envy those of you who've seen more recent "official" intermissions. The last ones I even remember where on "Gone With The Wind" and "Dr. Zhivago". That train scene coming out of the break was impressive.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 12:46 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We would get films like Dr. Zhivago in 2nd run with the intermission removed by the film exchange. We'd splice a snipe back in and go for it. The audience never complained.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 11:32 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With films like King Kong (which I have not seen and don't plan to) if their is no fade to black or a dissolve to the intermission tag or a good long scene ending shot, as their used to be, then a intermission tag simply spliced on the end of a shot or c/o to is kinda abrupt in my opinion. Not to mention some boofheads who just shut the dowser and turn the lights on full. I've seen this before and it surely lacks showmanship. And what about the music. Are theatres adding play out/play in music via non-sync that matches the film score or just their typical non-sync top 40 rubbish? That just ruins the illusion [Frown]

The best scene to intermission I've experienced is with Ben-Hur or the clever one in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I say leave the film alone, but yes you have to think of others and their possible discomfort. Can't please everyone.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about "How The West Was Won" as the riverboat sails off in the distance and the music swells, or Dr. Zhivago when the train rolls off to the horizon (matched by the opening shot of Act 2 with the tunnel exit and screaming whistles). And who can forget GWTW with Scarlett and the tree?

I agree though, if you are going to put in a break, at least pick a logical place, not just a reel break.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: