Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can't trick the DTS player anymore (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Can't trick the DTS player anymore
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it must be new antipiracy software on the newer DTS disks, but I can't use my keyboard to play individual DTS files off the disks anymore. There doesn't seem to be an option for playing individual reels without time code like there used to be.
Is that an option that is gone with the wind?

|  IP: Logged

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, option #2, play without time code has been gone for a while now. The list goes from 1 to 3. You can't even enter 2, it will not work. I liked to use this function to spot check discs. Thank you DTS, for letting some silly antipiracy nonsence make your coustomers' lives harder. What a way to keep them comeing back.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 12:51 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a suspicion these anti-piracy measures were mandated by the studios. If DTS had failed to comply then said studios would probably stop using DTS on their films until they did.

And with good reason. Not every anti-piracy measure is an idiotic ineffective over-reaction (just most of them). When I was at Showest this year part of the film piracy seminar discussed how pirates were using stolen DTS discs to quickly 'translate' camcordered movies into multiple langauges. Heck, even a pirate didn't want to 'release' their movie in multiple langauges using stolen discs to provide a soundtrack to your camcordered movie would solve the problem of crappy/polluted sound.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-15-2005 08:25 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to say Return of the King was the first movie to switch over to the new anti-piracy format. If you search the archives, there is some discussion on it as it affected older units and the XD10 from being able to play the new discs without an upgrade.

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 12-15-2005 12:16 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could tell you how to do it,
but that would probibaly be dishonest!
Who said that???

Merry Christmas!!!

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 04:57 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can change the jumper inside the DTS player to SMPTE time code, feed in a time code generator, and play anything you want. What DTS did will not stop pirates, it just makes it harder on the legal users.

The big question still remains, how would you keep the DTS audio in sync with video? We all know that the real problem is with the screener discs, but the studios do not want to admit it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-15-2005 05:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Erick Akers
I could tell you how to do it,
but that would probibaly be dishonest!
Who said that???

Bwahahahahaha.... wasn't that ***Phil of Philm-Tech*** that said that???

Actually Bruce you need a DTS time code generator do be able to do that... low and behold... they don't sell those anymore.....

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-15-2005 10:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce said "You can change the jumper inside the DTS player to SMPTE time code, feed in a time code generator, and play anything you want. What DTS did will not stop pirates, it just makes it harder on the legal users."
The disks will not play if you move the jumper and try to drive it of a SMPTE generator

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-16-2005 08:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To make the explanation clearer DTS and SMPTE time codes are different and one will not you to play the others files and vise versa.

Mark

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 09:09 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't want to go to all the trouble anyway. It just used to be a easy way to see if the disks were screwed up, or the print. And to test repairs or improvements to the system
Ah, progress.....

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 12-16-2005 10:02 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an even easier way than that Mark!

quote: Mark Gulbrandson
Bwahahahahaha.... wasn't that ***Phil of Philm-Tech*** that said that???

MMmmmmm, Could Be. But he wasn't alone! [Big Grin]

That's why I have elected not to share this nice bit of software.

BTW: I've known about this for a few weeks now and it works great! (but what do I know I've been acused of being dishonest!)

Maybe Daryl could post it instead, if he can find it.

quote: Greg Mueller
I didn't want to go to all the trouble anyway. It just used to be a easy way to see if the disks were screwed up, or the print. And to test repairs or improvements to the system
Ah, progress.....

This only exsist due to progress! [fu] too!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 10:04 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't funny the first time

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 12-16-2005 10:07 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree totally!
but there was no reason to get personal. [thumbsdown]

Want to to give in and publically apologize to me?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-16-2005 05:13 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Boy, here we go again... Crybaby Erick and Mark should get a room.

(Let's see if Erick (or Mark) can get this thread closed as well...)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-16-2005 08:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Erick, knock it off. No one owes you an apology.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: