Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Renting portable 35mm/xenon 16mm projectors

Author Topic: Renting portable 35mm/xenon 16mm projectors
Andy Uhrich
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 02:36 PM      Profile for Andy Uhrich   Email Andy Uhrich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings,

I will be projecting for an experimental film festival that takes place in Windsor, Ontario next February. Does anyone know of a place within driving distance of the Detroit/Windsor area that we can rent portable 35mm and xenon 16mm projectors?

Thanks for your help,

Andy

|  IP: Logged

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 02:57 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure how far is Toronto is for you, you could contact Gordon Mcleod at Toronto, if he can not assiy I am sure he would know some one who can.....

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-14-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another possibility would be Cinema Technology Services (CTS) in NYC. I don't know if they rent portable equipment, however.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 04:36 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also try Robert Film Service in St. Laurent, Quebec (514)337-4956. I bought a 16mm xenon projector from him and I believe he may also rent them.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 08:41 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boston Light & Sound rents portable 35mm nationwide, but they are not cheap.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-15-2005 09:56 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With BL&S you get what you pay for. They are very good at this game.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 04:04 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But they are not perfect. They brought in projectors for a summer film series at the Saenger in New Orleans a couple of years ago:

1. Color temperature was very different between projectors, & at reel changes it was blue to orange to blue to orange...

2. They were running silver optical tracks on red readers, & the upper freq distortion of silver tracks on red readers was at its worst in the musicals, the highest-attended & biggest investment on return ticket buyers. Oscar Levant's piano was a literally painful crash of noise at the top end.

3. I don't remembr if it was that same year, but one year the A-chain between the two projectors was glaringly different. I think it was in Casablanca that the reel changes would go from having upper frequency response #1 to response #2 which sounded like dropping into mud.

Gordon Burke
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 10:44 PM      Profile for Gordon Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How well to xenon bulbs transport in portable or otherwise moveable equipment? Do rental businesses usually leave bulbs in lamphouses during shipment, or do they box them separately and let the renter risk breaking one during setup? Are they generally stable enough when cold that when equipment is packed in proper cases that nobody really cares?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-19-2005 10:23 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shipping a lamphouse with the xenon lamp installed may very well cause the lamp to explode if the lamphouse is jarred during shipment. The lamp should be removed, and put into its original safety shock-absorbing packaging.

The other risk is that the people handling the shipment may not recognize the danger of a xenon lamp exploding (e.g., opening the lamphouse or looking into the lamphouse with the douser open).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: