Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » brand of lamphouse in Ideal Theatre pictures?

Author Topic: brand of lamphouse in Ideal Theatre pictures?
Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2005 02:56 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

Just saw the pictures of the Ideal Theatre that Brad just posted. Nice theatre!. Unusual looking lamphouse. Does anyone know what brand it is. Vertical or horizontal lamp?

Just Curious.

Best Regards - Mike Croaro

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-09-2005 03:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lamphouse is an early Kneisley Xenex Pup. According to the manual, it is horizontal.

-Aaron

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2005 05:53 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Aaron. Thanks for the information. It's so "boxy" I thought for sure that it was a vertical lamphouse.

Mike

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2005 08:58 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Aaron; Others:

Read thru the manual for the Kneisley "Xenex Pup". Very interesting. One thing caught my attention. The manuel gives the following statistics regarding screen illumination:

LP-1000 XBO-1000 Lumins: 9,200 for screen with 20-28 feet
LP-1600 XBO-1600 Lumins: 14,100 for screen with 30-36 feet

The unit uses a 14 inch dichroic coated glass reflecter.

I find it hard to believe that the 1000 watt lamp could provide good light to a screen 28 X 12 (scope). I also have doubts about the 1600 watt providing good light to a screen 36 X 15 (scope).

Any ideas? Does this unit provide such a big bang in light output?

Just curious,

Mike

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-10-2005 12:17 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Pup used the same reflector as the Xenex 1. The "box" was so small that the reflector was almost touching the rear and the ignitor was located near the lamphouse douser. It accepted HS bulbs and did project a much better light than the comparable ORC lamphouse of the period ( early 1980's ). Problems was the tricky spring loaded focus mechanism, IR heat damage to the ignitor and wiring problems if not properly ventilated...we sold many for export since it was small and easy to ship [Wink]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-10-2005 01:26 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a couple of Pups once, but they looked more like the Xenex boxes. Different manufacturing dates??

They were great lamps. I was never in a position to compare them to Super Lume-X boxes, but they seemed to do the job very well.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-10-2005 11:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The glass mirror used in those and the Xenex-1 is still a pretty darn good mirror to this day.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-10-2005 01:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the issue of usable image size all lamphouse manufacturers claims are based on super effcient lens and high gain screens

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-10-2005 01:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...got that one right about glass mirrors - excellent light output.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-10-2005 04:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My only complaints wwith the pups were
they ran very hot
the ignitor was in the lower front exposed to all the UV
come of the HSC lamps had to have the pins cut off to make them fit
but they did produce light

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2005 01:25 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mullers' used a Pup for what used to be their smallest auditorium in the company. Definately more reliable than an ORC, but I'll take a small XeTron or Strong over it anyday.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: