Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon bulb heater

Author Topic: Xenon bulb heater
Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2005 01:24 AM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know if it is possible to use a lamphouse to heat the booth or the theatre. I was told that it is no longer an issue with bulbs emitting dangerous gases (Ozone) when operating. So I wonder if, since I work in Canada and it is very cold in the booth, that I could add a fan to the top of the lamphouse and pump the heat into the booth or the theatre instead of just venting it outside. Has anyone done this?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-07-2005 05:40 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some codes may still prohibit it. With some lamps, even the little bit of ozone generated by the lamp and the high voltage ignition could be hazardous to your health. Ozone can be generated by intense ultraviolet energy ("ozone-free" lamps have envelopes doped with a material that filters out most of that UV) and high voltage discharge.

For sure, if you ever smell the pungent smell of ozone, you should vent it. Consider using a simple heat exchanger (e.g., fins on the vent pipe) to get more heat from the lamp exhaust.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2005 07:25 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting!

Why don't ve construct lamp house what would heat booth! Consider plex booth with 5-10 machines with 4000-7000 KW bulbs, what a HEAT!

I know stories from older projectionist and carbon arc time, if you get cold tea, open lamp house and put tea to worm it up!

Or you can dry jackets near the lamphouse!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-07-2005 07:27 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know stories from older projectionist and carbon arc time, if you get cold tea, open lamp house and put tea to worm it up!

There were some hazardous things in the ash and exhaust of carbon arc lamps.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-07-2005 10:00 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I sure as heck can't pass up an opportunity to tease Rick.

How do you think canned beans would cook in a lamp house?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-07-2005 10:50 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better have a can of Bon Ami on hand to clean up that reflector!

Those arc lamps sure made good cigarette lighters, though... under the excuse of "testing the trim", of course.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-07-2005 01:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, use a razor blade (single edge) to scrape off the copper "spits" from the surface of the mirror, then a good ol' scrubbing with BonAmi to clean and polish the mirror.

Yes, I remember those early xenon bulbs with that nasty ozone smell that would come from the exhaust - worked in a dumpy little theatre that had switched from carbon to xenon and he didn't vent the lamphouses due to that they were small lamphouses and that odor was pretty pungent up in that small booth. Luckilly, I wasn't working then when he did switch over - I was not needed anymore.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2005 07:35 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daryl C. W. O'Shea
How do you think canned beans would cook in a lamp house?
Probably very well, but be sure to puncture vent holes in the can. It may be just a projectionist's urban legend, but as I mentioned in page 2 of this vintage thread, someone messed up a Magnarc pretty bad by not venting the can. [Eek!]

Marc Hansen
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2005 11:05 PM      Profile for Marc Hansen   Email Marc Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This should do the job

Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2005 11:54 PM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, that looks like exactly what I need.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-08-2005 02:54 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you seriously do that, you may need to upgrade your stack fan. Make sure to measure that you're getting adequate airflow and adequate cooling.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: