Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What's that nice white tape that isn't masking tape? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What's that nice white tape that isn't masking tape?
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 07:51 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that a lot of reels have a very nice, easy to remove white tape binding on all the headers. It kind of looks like the tape that you'd use to bind up your hands before a sporting event (if you're an athlete). What kind of tape is that, and where can I get some?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 07:57 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do a search for 'reel bands' the answer lies there [Smile]

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 07:59 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tape's called "artist's tape". You can buy it through an art supply vendor (like this one) or thorugh most theatre supply dealers.

Tip: Be sure to use at least 4-5 inches of tape to secure each reel. [thumbsup] Visit this thread for the scoop on proper (and improper) print tail-taping etiquette.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 08:42 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jon Miller
The tape's called "artist's tape". You can buy it through an art supply vendor
Great! We have a local arts supply store just down the road. I'll swing by tomorrow and see if they have any of this sweet, sweet "artist's tape."

[thumbsup]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-06-2005 09:46 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also known as "paper tape." My preference is for Permacel P724, but there are many good choices.

--jhawk

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-06-2005 10:07 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3M 256 Artists Tape

quote:
3M Scotch Flatback White Paper Tape 256 flat stock paper tape with a rubber adhesive. High immediate adhesion. Excellent write-on label tape, shelf labeling, and hinging flaps and overlays on artwork and drawings. Accept writing of most pens and markers. 3 in. core.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-06-2005 11:23 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Chilton
It kind of looks like the tape that you'd use to bind up your hands before a sporting event (if you're an athlete).
If the tape is made out of paper, I agree that it's White Artist's Tape... which is one of the few kinds of tape that you are supposed to use on film. However, if it is a cloth-backed tape it is probably White Gaffer's Tape. Although "White Gaff" is good for making labels and "Gaff" tape, in general, is a good general purpose tape it is decidedly "sub-optimal" for use directly on film.

You probably should have a roll or two of Gaff Tape on hand in your booth. It's about 1,000,000 times better than duct tape. You can even use it (the white variety) to repair holes in your screen. If you have a matte screen or a medium gain screen and you do careful work, you can get some good... almost invisible... results with White Gaff.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-06-2005 11:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...(LOL) you should see my booth: I've got one area dedicated to my "artist tape" collection- with me peeling off that stuff from the leaders and having one side of a cabinet plastered with this stuff to use for end filmroll title markings and lead tapedowns when finished with the prints.

Hey, it free and still stickey to use...so why not take advantage of the situation?

-Monte

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 11:57 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Monte, when TES changed over to artists' tape (or the technical equivilent) I could get enough tape from amount securing the reel for at least a head & tail marker. As long as they'll splurge, save it! [Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-07-2005 02:01 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhhh, you guys ARE taping down the reel-ends when you ship prints out, right?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-07-2005 03:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
I could get enough tape from amount securing the reel for at least a head & tail marker.
What I do with these TECH tapedowns is to keep them in the one length (since TECH loves to splurge by putting on a good foot of this stuff on their print shipments) by removing the entire tape and then by wrapping the white stuff around the head lead when they go back into the can when the print is being used. Then when it's time for return, I remove the white stuff from the lead roll, set it aside, splice back on the head lead, then the white stuff gets replaced back on as it came to us - holding down the head lead during shipment.
quote: Monte L Fullmer
....and lead tapedowns when finished with the prints.

..see, I do it as well...and I really like it when prints come from Warner and FOX, which are LOADED with this white stuff for my "tape" collection (thumbs down on those who uses regular masking tape which I leave alone).

GeeWhiz, Mike, you should know us better than that.....(LOL, it's that super cold weather you're getting into being in that part of MONT. ...) - Monte

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-12-2010 09:41 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1678 days since the last post.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 09:41 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's also known as "paper tape." My preference is for Permacel P724, but there are many good choices.

--jhawk

Does anyone have an idea of where to buy this in the DFW area (Brad, maybe you would know?)

We've been using the 3M 256 tape but the art supply store we purchase it from recently raised their prices ($17.50 for a roll of 3/4") and I'm hoping we can find something a little cheaper.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 09:58 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
buytape.com (now goodbuyguys.com), $3.59/roll in individual quantities.

--jhawk

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 10:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.rsem.com/equipment-details.asp?partnum=CP72412

Beat you by two cents! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: