Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Is common width sometimes better? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Is common width sometimes better?
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2005 12:25 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that if an auditorium is properly designed, common height screens are absolutely the way to go. What if the auditorium is not properly designed? There was a trend for a while of very narrow auditoriums. In this situation, with a common height screen, flat films look like they are being projected on a little postage stamp.

When there is a situation where an auditorium isn't wide enough to have a properly sized common height screen, is it better to maximize size for both formats and go with common width?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 12:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tear it down......really!

We lose in two ways:

1. Assuming you actually project the full flat and scope images, you will have a situation I call "inverted reality." Flat usually allows plenty of cropped framing and tight closeups. Scope does not. Inasmuch as the high grossing films are mostly scope (more flat movies; but most leave quickly.) The result is that the scope image seems small and distant, while the flat image is overly large, compounded by the tight close ups.

2. Image quality on flat is reduced (light, grain, & stability.) Naturally we make it bigger; therefore more noticeable. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 01:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..then what really kill flat presentations is the usage of the 2.00/1 aperture - like I know of one theatre that uses this ratio since they wanted BIG FLAT pictures instead of optimizing the screen for scope.

Results is of the horribly cramped flat presentation.

..then,there are the ones who crop the crap out of scope features for the same BIG FLAT presentations....

-Monte

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 01:07 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been there, done that. I wrote about it years ago:

Kodak: Caring About Composition

quote:
"Scope" Is Meant to be Wider than "Flat"
Filling the full width of the screen for both 2.39:1 scope pictures and 1.85:1
flat pictures is almost as bad as "one size fits all" screens. This poor practice
has become a popular trend in modern theatre designs, especially those with
stadium seating. The misguided idea is to fill the front wall of the theatre with
the biggest image possible, regardless of the intended format. So instead of
maintaining the same image height for the scope and flat formats by using
adjustable side masking, both formats are projected with the same width. The
top and bottom masking are adjusted to letterbox the scope format, and
actually project a much smaller image than the flat format.
What's wrong with this picture? Plenty! First, the wider 2.39:1 scope format is
usually chosen to give pictures greater impact, than the more intimate 1.85:1
aspect ratio. Letterboxing it to a smaller image often violates the intent of the
cinematographer and director in telling a big story.
Image quality of the flat format suffers in comparison to the scope format,
especially when common width screens are used. The projectable image area
of the 1.85:1 flat format is only 65 percent of the much larger and efficient
scope format. It makes no sense to project the much smaller flat film image
area on the print to a much larger picture than scope on the screen. It simply
magnifies the grain and greatly reduces the light level. For example, a theatre
that is getting the SMPTE aim of 16 footlamberts for scope on a 25 x 60 foot
screen, will typically get only about 13 footlamberts for the less efficient flat
format on a 25 x 46 foot screen, which is still within the tolerances allowed by
the standard. But if they try to magnify the flat image to fill a 32 x 60 foot screen, they will only get a sub-standard 8 footlamberts, since the light must
be spread over a much larger screen area. When you project flat and scope
films to the same width on the screen, bigger is definitely not better!

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2005 01:10 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If tearing down walls is not an option, the scope picture will be the same size either way. It will be as wide as possible and the height will be width/2.39. The issue is with flat.

For example, lets say a 6-6, 180 seat auditorium. So we're talking about 27 feet wide, and 55 or so feet long. Let's assume the widest screen that can be put in is 25 feet.

With common height, the scope image will be 10'5.5" x 25' and the flat image will be 10'5.5" x 19'4.2". This image will appear tiny because you have people (improperly) sitting over 5 screen heights away that will have a lot of black in their field of view.

The scope image will be too small either way but if you made the screen common width, the flat image would be 13'6" x 25'. Now for flat images, people will only be around 4 screen heights back which is more ideal.

Contrast this to a properly designed 180 seat auditoruim. Scope of 17' x 40'7.56" and Flat of 17' x 31'5.4".

So, if knocking down walls isn't an option, is it better to go common width and at least present flat at the right screen to seating ratios?

Edit:
John, I was writing this post when you posted yours. I'll leave this post and see if there is any comment to it with my more specific example.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 01:21 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The issues I discussed are due to the physics of projection. The aesthetics in a long, narrow theatre are a subjective decision, but I prefer common image height, and just sit closer (best seats are 2 to 4 image heights from the screen. If you sit 5 to 6 image heights away, you might as well be watching television. [Razz]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 01:34 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte: In the South it is 2:1 flat and then crop scope to 2:1. Thankfully the "lens changers" are gone. Someone was using reverse anamorphics and minimizers with even more cropping.

To me 445 x 825 is holy..I never crop that. Scope width I do sometimes play a few games; but only in problem houses. Louis

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 01:45 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a building that is long and narrow. You want to put in an upscale restaurant. Once you put in the kitchen, the only room left is narrow swath of space that can only accommodate bar stools and a narrow bar on which a full size dinner plate will barely fit. Do you say, "Yah, that's great---no one will notice that that we can't fit any tables in there and waiters bump into patrons as they pass them carrying the trays"? NO. You say this place simply WON'T WORK. If you are planning to rent, you find another place to put your restaurant; if you own that long narrow building, you sell it for use as a bowling alley or as Louis says, you TEAR IT DOWN.

Does a curator hang huge Monet paintings in a gallery only 3ft wide so people have to stand 2 feet in front of them to view them? Do you build a car wash that is not wide enough for cars to fit? Do you make donuts with no holes?

How does compromising the very thing that a theatre owner expects to make his livelihood at (selling the movie going experience), ever make an sense? You think The Four Seasons would substitute horse meat for prime rib and no one would notice? Or anyone would come back? How can serious, extreme compromises ever be "OK" in any business, theatres included? To think that it would some how be "better" is a serious, extreme error. Can it be done physically? Sure; then again, lots of businesses are run badly -- thing is, everyone knows which they are and everyone avoids them. Just because a business is run by imbeciles doesn't mean it's OK or that it will even survive. Besides, who wants to have to tell his friends, "Hey guys, come on over to my restaurant; the meal's on me....but I wouldn't recommend ordering the prime rib."

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 01:47 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To me 445 x 824 is holy..I never crop that.
Standard SMPTE 195 specifies 0.446 x 0.825 inches as the projectable image area for 1.85:1 "flat". But what's a "mil" among friends??? [Wink] [Big Grin]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 02:24 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John: you are right.

Frank: I agree; why handicap a new business (or put an old one on life support) if you can avoid it? The narrow hall is just not an acceptable cinema. Times have changed enough that mere "playback" is no longer acceptable especially in any competitive environment. Poorly split thatres have "been dropping like flies" lately. Louis

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 02:24 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this town (Eugene & Springfield), there's Cinemark 17 and Regal Cinema World 8.

Regal has a mixed bag. The old/better houses are common-height. Funny thing is though the 2 largest houses with ~480 seats have relatively small screens. I measure them at about 24' flat and 30' scope (going by ceiling tiles). The newer houses have either common width or both top & side masking is movable. Those screens are 40'+ even though they have far fewer seats. In a couple of them the throw is so short and the screens so large that only the back row is acceptable to me. They also crop the sides of scope images in those short-throw houses too much, titles are cut off sometimes.

Most of Cinemark's screens (but not all) are common width. So scope is smaller than the flat. A few screens (4?) have movable side and top masking. Screens there range from about 34' to a little over 40'. They can look good in either flat or scope and even though in perfect world scope should be wider than flat, as long as they get the aspect ratio right I don't think it makes a huge difference, at least not in their setup. I know that's heresy though. [Wink]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 02:40 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most important to show the standardized image area (per SMPTE 195). You can always move to a different seat to be at the correct viewing distance. But with common width, "scope" will be MUCH brighter than "flat", unless attention is paid to matching the light level.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-02-2005 03:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
With common height, the scope image will be 10'5.5" x 25' and the flat image will be 10'5.5" x 19'4.2". This image will appear tiny because you have people (improperly) sitting over 5 screen heights away that will have a lot of black in their field of view.
Well there's your problem. You have the screen on the wrong wall!!! [Razz]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 03:06 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen auditoriums with those Christie SLC (and Reference) with autofocus adjusters on those consoles. Are these for to compensate the reduced light using the flat lens on a big screen to get the lamberts up to a reasonable level..automatically?

thx-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-02-2005 03:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: