Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie Motor Hinge Kit Question

Author Topic: Christie Motor Hinge Kit Question
Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2005 10:47 AM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone out there who has had any experience with the Motor Hinge Kit for the P35 projector could give me some advice.

I want to install these hinge kits on my projectors to make belt changing and cleaning easier.

Well, here's my issue- On the actual hinge pieces, there is a small peg (about the size of a registration pin on a splicer). They look like they should go into a small hole on the projector, but no such hole exists.

When I try to install the hinge kit, the hinges end up being kinda cock-eyed (because these pins are in the way). I am not sure if this is a major problem, as the motor does seem to be firmly mounted and it is able to swing like it is supposed to. It certainly does look strange though.

Should there be a hole that these go into? Would a newer projector have holes for this pins? (These projectors are about 8 years old now. - I believer newer projectors come with the hinge kit already installed)

Should I file down these pins so that the hinges can rest flush on the back of the projector?

Or, should I not worry about it all?

Thanks in advance...

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-03-2005 10:45 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carey,

Just tap the pin back out and forget about it.... tighten it in place with the allen head screws as normal. I have installed quite a number of these and they are a great addition. Makes changing belts a snap! Once the pin is out and the hinge mounted (without motor) you could use the correct number size drill and drill the hole into the casting..... The first version didn't have that pin...

Mark

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2005 09:26 AM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

I went ahead and pulled out the pins and that does seem to be the easy fix.

My plan is to eventually put these on all 24 of my projectors. With just the few I already put on, I can tell that they will make working on projector a lot easier.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 12:21 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am installing my first hinge kit right now. How exactly do you tap or pull out those pins? I can't seem to get them out.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-15-2005 11:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or.... drill a small pilot hole so that the pin can fit into it. I seem to remember tappinng them back flush with the plate with a drift punch on soome, but the pilot hole will also work if located accurately.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-15-2005 03:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..the small danger of "modding" something that wasn't there in the first place: is the accuracy of the modification.

9 times out of 10 is to accept it as it was originally intended.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-15-2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does not really matter in this case... the original mount was not pinned and the new ono is still held in place with the same 4 allen head screws. There is always the option of drilling the pilot hole for the pin if you can locate it very accurately.....

Mark

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 05:53 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to install about 2-3 years ago, but when trying to do the first one, the flywheel on the motor wouldn't come off. [Frown]

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 06:21 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isnt the flywheel on the motor secured with 2 allen screws? You have to take one out in order to get to the other?

How much are these kits? Its such a hassle to remove those motors just to change bearings and belts. Are the kits the same for the M35 and P35?

Thanks.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 07:49 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank is right about the two allen screws that hold the flywheel on. However, even if you remove both of them, you may find it very difficult to remove the flywheel. The first one I did gave me trouble. I was able to pull the flywheel almost all the way off the shaft, but when I got to the end, it got stuck. The solution is to use a gear puller (not sure what the exact name of the tool is) like the one pictured below.

-

BTW, the solution to my original problem with those pins was to simply cut them off with my Dremil.

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 07:30 AM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank - the kits cost about $130. I think they are well worth the effort of putting them on, as they will make your job a lot easier in the future.

Regarding the pin, I just put the hinge in a vise and pulled out the pin. Some of them were a pain, but I managed to get them all removed. I would think that snipping them off and filing them down would also be fine. Drilling a hole for them might be more difficult and is probably not necessary.

The flywheel also messed me up before. I had completely removed the allen screw that I thought was holding it on, but it would not budge. Eventually, I looked inside the hole, and there was another allen screw right under the one I had already taken out! Needless to say, removing the second screw made a big difference!

Marc Hansen
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Marc Hansen   Email Marc Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doubling set screws is common practice in machinery to lock them. Always pull them all the way out and check before trying to remove pulleys flywheels etc.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-17-2005 02:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I found that one out the hard way with a P35GPS that the flywheel on the motor came loose. Tightend down that allen set and flywheel was still loose-to in fact it came off of the shaft. Thus, I removed the allen to really grab a hold of the situation and noticed the second allen..

..felt kinda dumb on that one.

..live and learn the hard way sometimes. - Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: