Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » THX amps? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: THX amps?
Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 12:15 PM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how amps and speakers are judged to be upto THX spec? and in what way are the THX models better than the non-THX models?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 01:03 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't necessarily better in any way, they just bear the badge [Wink]

THX means next to nothing in the UK now, none of the major chains are bothering with it. A well designed, specified and insatlled theatre and projection/sound system can easily match or exceed THX.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-30-2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was not true when Tom Holman set up the program; but it is true now.

To answer your question; I have found by experience that the very best amplifiers have one thing in common: they are RATED into a 2 ohm load. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-30-2005 10:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typically a THX approved device will do what the spec sheet claims it will how it is then used is upto the system design engineer

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pete Naples
They aren't necessarily better in any way, they just bear the badge
And what a price for a [bs] badge [Big Grin]

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 05:56 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THX means next to nothing in the UK now.........

I wonder what Andy Summers will have to say about that! [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-01-2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Ben, I wonder what Andy would have to say about it too...especially since I totally agree with Pete and Jonathan. THX certification is just another horseshit marketing thing that really has NO advantage that 99% of the theatre-going masses can recognize...BUTT! Think they can! OBTW: Don't forget to use "Monster Cable" for EVERYTHING! [thumbsup]

It's just ANOTHER hype for the theatre owners to pay the $$$ so they can have the "privilege" to screw the patrons outta more $$$.

HERE is the "official" approved equipment list. (pdf)

(Which just goes to show that shit equip is "approved" right along with the "good" stuff!)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-01-2005 11:01 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you be knockin' Monster Cable. I just rewired a 2000 car space drive-in's AM system with Monster Cable and it definitely rocks. Well worth the $6,000,000 it cost.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-02-2005 02:59 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, OK, OK, Daryl! I'll endorse Monster Cable for the AM transmitter interconnects for drive-ins with a capacity of 1500 or more cars.

BTW: Was that cost in US or Canadian dollars?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-02-2005 05:25 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Canadian of course. Didn't you hear that American money isn't worth anything anymore?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 08:50 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given two similar pieces of equipment, I'd buy the THX rated one. It probably doesn't cost any significant amount extra anyway.

I agree that the "THX approved" nameplate doesn't mean much today, but I'd like to point out Louis's remark. 20 years ago, few products had as much hyperbole as audio equipment. Manufacturers routinely fudged specifications, ratings, etc. in almost any way possible to make their product look better (anyone remember the stupid IHF ratings?) RTA's, wow and flutter meters, good filters, etc. were expensive in the late 1970's, so it was somewhat difficult for the average person to see for themselves the real specs of a piece of equipment. This was the state of the industry when THX started rating equipment. As Gordon said, with a THX rating, at least the equipment will do what the spec sheet says.

So if you want to say THX rated equipment doesn't mean much today, well, OK. But to say it's a waste is like saying mag striping on release prints was a waste; you are using modern eyes to judge an old problem. THX raised the bar for motion picture audio and just about everyone has benefited. It too bad George just bailed on the whole idea 'quality' for theaters.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 12:28 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John: the words you want to say are "SOLD OUT!" I was one of the very first of the TAP engineers; back in-the-day. The others included Bill Purdy. All were the best at that time. Over the years deals were made until THX literally meant nothing. I personally heard 5 movies at the same time in one large chain auditorium that was "self certified." Other chains were not allowed to self certify and sometimes were held to a much higher tolerance.

The outcome for me is that we built all auditoriums to THX specs, used the same equipment (except crossover) and no one could tell the difference between certified or not. Untimately that chain removed the THX since no one could tell the difference; and, since it was not on all screens, they could not reliably promote THX to the public. (need any "like new" dbx card frames?) Louis

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2005 04:39 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Typically a THX approved device will do what the spec sheet claims it will how it is then used is upto the system design engineer
Exactly.....but thats not worth anything??? C'mon people. I think THX really started quality control in the theater / home theater business. Perhaps a lot of manufacturers are stepping up to the plate and making good equiptment now BECAUSE THX was so popular. I'd bet a lot of theaters / equiptment manufacturers used or still use THX specs to build their equipment..possibly take it even further and exceed THX standards. It pisses me off when people say THX is [bs] because its not. It may not be the ULTIMATE standard that it once was...but its not [bs] . I'd pay more for a THX certified AMP or speakers because I know its going to sound great and DO exactly what its supposed to. THX is good.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod

Exactly, as are all similar devices. About 10 years ago, I installed an 8 plex using Hafler amps, Smart ModIV's and JBLs, a single mic and a Goldline. THX was called in by a sub that was responsible for the sound insulation between the auditoriums. The THX tech set up his R2 to analyze everything, and asked me who set up the sound system because it was right on.

I agree alot has to do with the equipment, but the design and install play a major factor in the whole outcome. Who really cares about the name brand?

Does the average paying customer think about THX? I think they worry more about if the concession has Coke or Pepsi, or coconut or canola oil! Oh, and free refills!!

The fact is a well designed theater can get just as good results as a theater that has all THX approved equipment. In my opinion THX did not set any standards, the new technology and the competition between theaters has made the experience what it is today.

my 2 cents, Rick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-03-2005 11:07 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
To answer your question; I have found by experience that the very best amplifiers have one thing in common: they are RATED into a 2 ohm load.

That may be partially true of the more reliable amplifiers but, and this is a big BUT, The most important contribution to sound quality that an amplifier should posess is very low odd harmonic distortion levels..... The human ear is far more sensitive to odd harmonics than it is even harmonics.....

The next most important thing is having a large....no, huge power supply reserve, sometimes refered to as head room but its not just headroom that matters here.... the power supply capacity(large power cord, transformer, bridge rectifier(high speed rectifiers or just the 10 cent variety), and filter capacitors.... have alot to do with the reliability AND the overall sound of an amplifier. Just about 95% of the amplifiers we all install in cinemas are WAY underbuilt in the power supply department, thats how the manufacturers are able to afford all those lavish full page ads in national magazines!

There are other factors that weigh in with other things that really matter a great deal as what type of output devices are used right down to brand and type... some sound way better than others, are the emitter resistors inductive or non-inductive... inductive=cheap and they sound bad, this is what 95% of the commercial amps have, Mode of operation... class B, Class AB, or Class A, Is there an indictor in series at the output of each channel(really bad!), etc.

Personally, even though I dislike all digital cinema processors I do look forword to the new breed of Class D Digital power amps comming to use in cinemas in the near future. You can attain huge power levels.... easily 2-350 RMS into 8 ohms easily in a 12 pound package with little to no heat sinking! They typically run at 90+% efficiency. Many of the "consumer versions" of these amps sound phenominal and the radiated RF energy from them is now well under control. Reliability is as good or better than a standard power amp because of sophisticated byult in protection circuitry... parts count per channel is also way less.

Complete 2 chan 300 watt RMS @ 8 ohms Class D power amp less power supply. Power supply is +/- 60 vdc.

-

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: