Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Portable Super16 double band. anyone got one?

Author Topic: Portable Super16 double band. anyone got one?
Mat Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2005 10:02 AM      Profile for Mat Fleming   Email Mat Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even know if these exist but I am desperately looking for one to rent or borrow (in the UK) for a weekend soon.
Please help me before I mutilate a perfectly good Bauer standard 16mm machine. Alternatively has anyone got any advice on how to convert this machine or find another gate for it.

Thanks,

Mat

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-24-2005 11:01 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super-16 projectors are very rare, and I've never seen a portable one. It's a long shot, but have you tried talking to the BBC? They used to have a fair number of double band portables, and it's possible that they've converted some to Super-16. (they did make up a 9.5mm gate for a Cintel Mk. 3 telecine, so anything's possible). The only official Super-16 conversion, i.e. not do it yourself, that I've seen is the Kinoton one that the NFT have on their machines, and I wouldn't want to think about what that costs.

Take care handling Super-16 prints; the frame comes very close to the edge of the film, as with standard-8 and 9.5mm, so any edge scratching will be visible.

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember Omnex having a Fumeo double band projector a while back if I remember rightly, not sure if they would rent or sell this, I don't know if they still have it or if it ran super16 or just standard, not the most portable machine, but it may do the job

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We may have a Super 16 head for that Fumeo, best give the office a call and ask Jed.

Mat Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2005 07:58 AM      Profile for Mat Fleming   Email Mat Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are talking about a big pedestal Fumeo machine we have one in our cinema and the Super16 gate for it but this machine needs to be portable (to go in an art gallery).
The BBC sounds interesting though. Do you have the name of someone I could be in touch wih there?

cheers

Mat

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-25-2005 08:11 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I don't know anybody who is still there. I had dealings with them in the late '70s and '80s, but the people I dealt with are long gone. There's also been a lot of re-organisation in the BBC in recent years.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-25-2005 09:24 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 16 kits for the FP-18 are available as off-the-shelf items: Peter Hall supplied one for our cinema at the university, and it works fine.

As for the BBC, BBC Resources at Wood Lane is probably your best bet. The last time I had any contact with them (over getting a 9.5mm TK job done using the modified Rank refered to by Stephen), it was with John Crane; but that was 3-4 years ago now.

Mat Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2005 11:58 AM      Profile for Mat Fleming   Email Mat Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leo,

I've spoken to half of london on the phone today. (except Peter Hall yet) Everyone in the film world has been chatty and as helpfull as possible whilst not actually knowing where I can get hold of a machine.
I'll try the BBC switchboard again, it seems they aren't much help unless you really know very clearly where you want to go.
oh, and What is the FP-18?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-25-2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The FP18 is a floor standing machine and not a "double band".

I have seen some modified Eiki portable projectors that ran Super-16 and with mating dubbers...a connecting shaft linked the two together. You might inquire of Robert Film in Canada.

As for new...Kinoton still offers Super-16 on their new projectors FP38E...they may be linked up to dubbers by MTE and others via quadrature signal.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-25-2005 06:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been a few of the Siemens and the Graflex/Palmer interlock machines show up on ebay every so often

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2006 10:21 AM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Actually, there was a FP-18 Double Band and even a FP-38 Double band. The mag reader fits in the recess above the gate area with reel arms fore and aft.

But it was definitely not at all portable.

Larry Shaw
Kinoton America
[Exclusive North American Distributor of Kinoton GmbH]
8 Goodenough Street
Boston, MA 02135-1903
Tel: 617-562-0003 x104 Fax: 617-787-4253
E-Mail: larry@kinotonamerica.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: