Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What's the purpose of the chain hanging from a Xenon bulb? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's the purpose of the chain hanging from a Xenon bulb?
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2005 01:27 AM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subject says it, my kneisley's is the only one's I've seen this in. What is the point of the chain. I've always just blindly put it back on when changing a bulb.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2005 06:19 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
I've always just blindly put it back on when changing a bulb.

Does that mean you keep your eyes shut when you change bulbs? [Wink]

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2005 08:04 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you described little more about that "chain", maybee is volfram wire for faster ionization of xenon gas you thinking on?

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2005 08:17 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Martin is right : this "wire" facilitates bulb ignition.
Even cold, there is high pressure xenon into the bulb >>> danger !!! Use the protection mask and gloves !!!
[thumbsup]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-21-2005 08:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one point kniesly felt it helped eliminate a capacitive effect in the lamp during ignition

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2005 12:54 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure Richard, I've performed it so many times I can do it with my eyes closed. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

It's a ball chain, just like the type you would find on a light pull chain.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-22-2005 05:13 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
At one point kniesly felt it helped eliminate a capacitive effect in the lamp during ignition

Does it?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-22-2005 05:43 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the nichrome "gimmick capacitor" wire tied to every xenon bulb, it is probably no longer needed. Just a vestige from former times.

As regards the old Kneisley; another trick is to insulate the bottom of the igniter from the case using plexi or fibreglass. Arc overs there are common when the igniter fires. It still arcs in the bulb, but intensity is reduced.

This is a lamp that can be made to run very well enough, but it takes a bit of labor to do so. Whenever we sell one used, we replace the meter, shunt, capacitors in the power supply, add the igniter spacer and upgrade the teflon bushing. I would never sell one "as is." Louis

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2005 11:59 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, i think is wolfram wire on osram bulb's, i know because on poster i got with bulb it says wolfram!

Maybe chain is for bulb arc stabilization like on carbon arc systems.

Can you upload picture of it?

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2005 01:16 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marin, I will get a picture as soon as I can remember to take the camera along. [Smile]

Louis, or anyone else, is there a reason one couldn't just by- pass the shunt all together and take it out of the loop?
I use a DC clamp on meter for amp adjustments anyway.

Interesting about the plexi addition, any thickness will do I assume? And I assume the placement of the plexi is to be between the bottom of where the entire Telsa coil assembly meets the metal case?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-22-2005 03:15 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-22-2005 03:56 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White plexi or Phenolic board does the trick which stands up to the U.V. from the bulb and is more flame resistant. The front bulb support has an insulator that deteriorate with age which should be checked.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-22-2005 08:03 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
It's a ball chain, just like the type you would find on a light pull chain.

That's Kneisley's emergency igniter....if the bulb fails to lite, you just pull the chain to turn it on. [Big Grin]

(Sorry, I couldn't resist).

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2005 01:13 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The chain....

-

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-24-2005 01:38 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Gordon said.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: