Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Spot surround by looking at the soundtrack?

Author Topic: Spot surround by looking at the soundtrack?
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2005 08:27 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just installed a new surround EQ card and I want to test it with a trailer loop. Is there a way, by looking at the soundtrack, to find a good scene to test the surrounds with? I'd prefer to use a pink noise card, but I don't have one, unfortunately. I've noticed that some of the trailers have a small dot-dash line along certain points of the soundtrack... is that an indicator of surround?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-19-2005 08:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope the dash line is DTS timecode
Get some surround test film from Dolby

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2005 08:32 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Get some surround test film from Dolby
Gordon: I'll do that, but in the short-term is there any way to know by looking at the soundtrack?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-19-2005 08:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were to reverse (temporarily) ONE of the cell leads, you would have center channel audio coming out of the surrounds. This is an easy test anyone can do. Reverse means take, for example, the LEFT cell pair and reverse the red and black wires.Louis

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-20-2005 04:01 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Chilton
I'll do that, but in the short-term is there any way to know by looking at the soundtrack?
Nope.

-Aaron

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2005 05:08 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turn off/down your amps running the screen chanells and run a trailer for an action movie.
It's not like you can really adjust it properly without test film anyway but you'll know there's something coming out of them at least.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-20-2005 07:35 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following up on Louis's suggestion, running an old bi-lateral mono track with the phase temporarily reversed on one channel should put most of the sound through the surround speakers.

Can't you borrow some Dolby test film, which is the best option?

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2005 08:02 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the purpose of testing EQ card with trailer or surround test film?

Use pink noise and do eq of surround speakers with test microphone.

Instead of pink noise generator you can generate pink noise on some audio software and burn it on CD so you got pink noise.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: