Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anyone having a CP-650 "freeze up" and lose control? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone having a CP-650 "freeze up" and lose control?
Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2005 04:49 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had a "mysterious" (for lack of a better way to describe it) experience with our CP-650: It apparently "freezes", in that the master fader refuses to move (or, at best, moves up or down very slowly), and the format select buttons become inoperative. It still seems to pass sound through, maybe in "bypass" mode, but for the most part is unresponsive to commands. We have remedied this by re-booting the system, but that can be inconvenient if the show is running.
This is actually our second CP-650, we changed out our original unit for precisely the same reason: freezing up.
We have been leaving the system on 24/7, and I'm wondering if the daily boot-up sequence might be better for the system. Is anyone out there leaving their 650 on constantly, and having any such problems?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-20-2005 01:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder if the OS in that system needs to be reinstalled since sounds like something inside is starting to decay.

..maybe the power supply could be decaying and not putting out enough "juice" to the system. Try a swapout between units with the power supply and see if the power supply could be the culprit. They do go without letting you know.

Course, I'm relating to CP-500's and CP-55's with this sort of problem, but wonder if CP-650's could do the same....

..just some ideas to begin with....

-Monte

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2005 02:27 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had that problem when I fried a circuit board. Get it checked quickly!

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2005 02:46 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have remote faders?

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2005 12:27 PM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
any automation connected to the cp650 ? if so, try to disconnect automation connector and/or remote fader

Raphael Friedland
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2005 04:03 PM      Profile for Raphael Friedland   Email Raphael Friedland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did have the same problem in our cinema.
It happened a few times, at first we solved it by rebooting then we added a power conditioning from FURMAN and that solve the problem

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2005 06:11 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NO remote fader, and no automation. This is a completely manual operation. We've left the system "on" at all times because of some other elements in the system we did not want to power down.

But now that the second CP-650 (which is 100% new hardware, direct from Dolby, and has been installed for about 2 months now) is getting the same problems, I'm beginning to think that there possibly is some connection to never being turned off. Accumulated error messages, perhaps, from long periods of no signal (I know, doesn't make much sense!) or other data somewhere, which is (apparently) cleared by shutting it off.

John Vincent, Jr.
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2005 08:24 AM      Profile for John Vincent, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email John Vincent, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the exact same problem you describe- went through much troubleshooting and swapping of cards and finally got a replacement 650. We would re-load the software, it would disappear for while, then reappear, leading us to believe the memory chip that holds the software was corrupted.

The ONLY other thing with us that might have caused the problem was our booth monitor failed and was replaced at the same time (Comp. Eng. MS-55), we think there may have been some stray voltage coming out of our booth monitor back into the 650. But we were never able to verify it.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-21-2005 08:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dirty power is the number one cause of digital systems corrupting themselves
I use a UPS that provides the output power via the inverter and battery all the time and have almost put an en to all te dsp stuff loosing their settings

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-21-2005 08:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhhhh, the truth about this processor slowly reveals itself.....

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-21-2005 09:13 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark said "Ahhhhhhh, the truth about this processor slowly reveals itself....."

Mark I have had the logic in even Panastereos lock up because of dirty power

Dirty power is the number one cause of many premature electronic devices failing

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-21-2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP650 remains the most reliable processor I have ever worked with, bar none. We do have Tripplite IBAR-12 or LCR-2400 in all of our racks.

We have had two power supply failures.

Steve

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2005 02:49 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A UPS most probably will solve the issue if its not too late and a chip inside has said goodbye to this sweet world! Is something we always use on cinema processors down here in Cyprus. But if you had the same problem with the previous processor maybe you should check your connections between booth monitor/amps/projector etc. Check for any strange voltage passing through. Also check that the power socket of the processor gives a stable current which is not fluctuating. If it is fluctuating, most probably that is your problem. Do you have an identical screen or is it a single screen theater? If you have an identical you could try swapping the processor with another screen (but you need the software to download the data and reload on the other one and vice versa). If though you don't have the technical ability to do it, is better that you bring an experienced technician to mess around and try to find the problem.
D

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-21-2005 09:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Mark I have had the logic in even Panastereos lock up because of dirty power

Dirty power is the number one cause of many premature electronic devices failing

Youze guys know I'm going to raz you about the 650 at every opportunity. Can't say I've ever seen that happen to a CSP around here. I know Canadian hydro is a bit shaky at times. I remember how bad Keith had it up there... especially in the summer.
Actually all of the 650's we've installed have been completely trouble free.... if they only sounded good...... Donno if they ever had any software updates done or not... they're not in my servicing area.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-21-2005 09:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, if your CP650s don't sound good, there are only a few obvious problems at hand:

*Crappy speakers
*Poor acoustics
*Lousy RTA setup (don't you use an R2?)
*Piss poor tech

So which one is it? My CP650s sound absolutely fantastic!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: