Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound Warble Simplex XL (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sound Warble Simplex XL
Don Hallmark
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 10:31 PM      Profile for Don Hallmark   Email Don Hallmark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bad warble that is really noticeable in all music. This projector has set for several years but I just replaced all of the bearing in the sound head and on the drum. Could the motor cause that and not show up in the picture? I am a newbie again so I am stumped.

[ 11-18-2005, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-17-2005 11:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully you utilized bearings on the sound drum that don't have any sort of seal on them. Any seal will put enopugh drag on the scanning drum so that it never quite reaches free wheeling film speed. Other than than the drum having some sort of drag on it from another place like the flywheel side there is little that would cause it. I assume you also overhauled the lateral guide roller as well and that it spins very freely..... Everything MUST spin like a top when you hand spin it and continue spinning. The sound drum should free spin for a minimum of 20 to 30 seconds after applied hand motion is removed.

As for bearings on the sprocket shaft... I highly reccomend bearings with rubber seals for longer life. Keeps things outside out of the bearing out of it and whats inside it in place!!

Could vaguely be belts that are excessively tight but if yours are the round tooth version that is highly unlikely. There should be about 1/4" to 3/8" slack on them.. at least.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-18-2005 12:17 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you may have a flat spot on the lateral guide pinch roller
and if it is a XL soundhead then it is possible that the inner and outer flywheel have been dinged and touching

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-18-2005 04:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go back to your post and remove your email address - this is a no-no here. Need to read the rules.
Yep, flat spot on the lateral roller does this "bird warble" quite often.

-Monte

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-18-2005 07:34 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be as simple as something stuck to the drum, some sticky tape residue will do it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-18-2005 07:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, They should make you a moderator [evil] !

Also check that the rubber roller isn't split. Hard to see sometimes but this happens on older units...

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-18-2005 09:08 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing to add except drum bearings are available that are covered, but that do not drag like rubber seals. They are somewhat hard to find. The cover stope about 0.001 from touching; keeps out dirt, but does not drag. louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-18-2005 09:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have also been instances where the viscous oil within the flywheel has leaked out (or been removed) and thus the drum never couples to the flywheel. Everythink spins but it isn't really coupled...see if the drum is spinning at the same speed as the flywheel.

Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also check the lateral guide roller upper bracket for a hairline crack that can cause the lgr to "bounce" just enough to cause a problem.

Don Hallmark
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 11:08 AM      Profile for Don Hallmark   Email Don Hallmark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of the help. I replaced the rubber roller in the lateral guide assembly. All of the bearings are Simplex replacements. Thanks again,

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 12:56 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the concealed spring between the upper and lower sections of the guide. The intended tension is probably missing. You have to seperate the two sections, pull out the coil spring and stretch it. Don`t lose the ball.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-18-2005 01:01 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry: crack in upper bracket: we "stripped" 50 of these and found the crack in 39. Louis

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 01:10 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to sound condescending, but sometimes the most simple thing can be the cause. You are backing off only 2 perfs at the hold-back sprocket? More than that could cause a free loop around the sound drum.

Don Hallmark
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Don Hallmark   Email Don Hallmark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I am backing off 2 perfs at the hold back sprocket. When it is done at 1 perf you can hear the warble really bad. Just barely at 2 perfs. When I don't load the machine it gets to tight it seems. Thanks for the help.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 03:28 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned earlier, it appears the sound drum may be binding and not spinning freely. That would be consistent when you run with a 1-perf back-off. It forces a tighter loop. Also, see Steve Guttag's post above.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: