Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » effects of smoke in a theater (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: effects of smoke in a theater
Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 05:02 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so we all know cigarette smoke in a theater will over time coat surfaces in nastiness and discolor the screen. speaking purely hypothetically, will pot smoke do similar physical damage?

(please don't stray off-topic to matters of legality, etc.)

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-17-2005 05:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smoke is smoke, no matter how it's burned, what's burned, who burns it, who tokes it, who snorts it, who gets high, who gets sick, or who is dying from breathing in smoke.. et.al. .... It's all the same ....

..and don't EVEN try to rationalize....

-Monte

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2005 05:18 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've no idea, but are there any theatres that still allow any sort of smoking in the auditorium? I haven't seen one for years now.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-17-2005 05:40 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Monte, smoke is smoke. The amount of "tars" and other components may vary somewhat, but smoke almost always contains nasty things that stick to things, or particulates that get everywhere.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-17-2005 06:12 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And even if you escaped the legal ones, there'd be some health and safety implications arising from smoking pot in a theatre, I'd guess. If you've got 200 customers sitting there, as high as a kite, and then the fire alarm goes off (not outside the bounds of possibility, given that smoking has been going on), I wouldn't want to be the one who has to try and persuade them to evacuate through the fire exits in an orderly manner!

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 06:58 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo

All you have to do is stand near the exit and wave chocolate brownies [Smile]

Those who have the munchies after smoking the herbal cigarettes will lead and others will follow [Big Grin]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-17-2005 07:38 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick said "Those who have the munchies after smoking the herbal cigarettes will lead and others will follow "
One way to improve snack bar sales [Smile]

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 07:52 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm.... smoke is smoke maybe when someone burns car tiers you're eyes get's Cray!!! :-)

Mostly theaters i know don't allow smoking, and there's markings :
NO SMOKE!

But on legal side how is that, are somewhere in law who tell us to do not smoke in theater, i know here for public place that we have smoke and no smoke sets in cafe bars, restaurants... but what with cinemas?

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 10:04 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were involved some years ago with a guy who ran "Cinema Fume'" in the Brixton Academy (nee Astoria - 3000 seat atnospheric cinema turned club). I couldnt comment on the consumption of anything in the venue however the films screened from midnight to dawn, smoking was allowed and films were "Up In Smoke", Hendrix and the like. The screen was miles away (they used the circle from memory, although I cant remember that much about anything really - I just didnt seem to be too bothered) but I wouldnt say that no smoke is better or worse than any others. I do however have vile memories of changing screens in ex ABC sites that allowed smoking in the early days - hte screens were yellow and any moisture, even sweat on your hands when climbing the frames, "liquidated" the tar and you went home smelling llike a workingmens club.

The nights at Brixton were sponsored by Rizzla (Zig Zags in some countries) and the tickets were printed on a complimentary packet of jumbo sized rizzlas. From memory this was the most trouble free midnight screening that we have ever experienced.. lots of people asleep

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2005 02:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carl Martin
speaking purely hypothetically, will pot smoke do similar physical damage?
Planning a "special" showing of Harry POTter, maybe? [Wink]

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 04:18 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Smoke is smoke, no matter how it's burned
And most modern fire control systems won't dicriminate, a few wiffs in the smoke detector or Vesda sniffers and the audience is out on the street.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-17-2005 05:19 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I also agree... "smoke is smoke"...

The only difference with smokin' dope is the patrons DON'T CARE how shitty the pic is... yellow screen or Kodak RED print... ALL is OK! [thumbsup]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 03:36 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
smoke may be smoke, but my impression is that pot smoke doesn't spread quite as aggressively as ciggie smoke. it could also be that it burns cleaner. i don't know. i really dislike either type of smoke, myself.

i know of at least one theater, here unnamed, that "turns a blind eye" for some shows. i don't intend to repeat the mistake of going to one of those shows.

but that's not why i ask. in fact, i'd rather not say why. and if anyone has an opinion on this topic but is reticent about making a public posting, please do email me. i promise i won't narc on you.

carl

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 11-18-2005 12:12 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl,
You will shortly have truely informative mail on this subject.
Smoke is Smoke! Bull Shit!!!

On the plus side, the snack bar sales would tripple!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-18-2005 02:53 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Hall
We were involved some years ago with a guy who ran "Cinema Fume'" in the Brixton Academy
Ah, this brings back memories. I visited the place with the CTA at that time, we were shown around by a fearsome looking man who was in charge of 'security' They had only just started the film thing, there was no screen frame, I'll come back to that in a minute, they had found an old, rather small, silver screen somewhere, underneath the stage I think, the surface was gone, so they painted it white. I think you are right about the projection being from the circle, they just hired in equipment when needed. The former projection box under the balcony had been turned into a sort of VIP area, for invited guests of the band that was playing. Large windows had been fitted in the front wall, one with a steel girder running across it. I think there was also a small bar in this room.

Because there was no frame the screen had been hung from a spare lighting barrel. The counterbalanced lines were operated from stage right, and there was a tubular metal guard rail in front of them, which was bent. The story was that somebody who was working to remove the original sgreen frame had fallen onto it. I don't know if there was any truth in this story; for their sake I hope not!

The original projectors were said to still be in the building somewhere, but wrapped up in plastic due to being 'full of asbestos'. The security man also said that there were other boxes in the theatre that used to contain 'huge effects machines', Brenographs?, which they had removed. At one time the CTA held their archives in the building, first in a former battery room, and then in what had been a manager's office.

The proscenium arch is based on the design of a famous bridge, but I cannot remember which one. There's a picture here It's possible to walk across this, it's reached by means of a small door and very narrow staircase on stage right. Once you reached the centre you could move forward through the doors onto the small balcony which can be seen in the picture. I'm told that Bella Lugosi once appeared on that balcony, with a lime on him, promoting his Dracula performance the following week.

There was something of a hazard on that bridge; it was dark up there, and everything was painted black, including an RSJ at just the right height th hit the top of your head on; as most of us did!

We visited all sorts of places with the CTA; one in the East End of London had ceased to be a cinema decades before, the previous time they had tried to visit the place it had been a used car salesroom, but had been closed down because the building was unsafe. It had re-opened some time later, without any repairs being carried out as far as I know, as a (probably illeagal and unlicenced) rave club. The operators had agreed to the visit after the place closed, which was at something like 6am on Sunday. I think the visit actually took place rather later.

Another place we visited had become a rather strange night club, complete with dungeon and torture chamber! I think some of us weren't quite sure what we had let ourselves in for there, but the man from the club who showed us round was really nice, and interesteed in features of the building we pointed out that he had never noticed. With just a few exceptions, nearly all of the places we visited would let us go anywhere we wanted, getting into long disused parts of the buildings, carrying a torch (flashlight, not the flaming variety) was always a good idea on a CTA visit. We sometimes got very odd looks by the users or these buildings which had become bingo halls, markets, churches or whatever, when their building was invaded by a load of loonies who would climb up un the roof, or under the stage, on into some plant room disused for thirty years. Great fun; I suppose the health and safety people will have put a stop to that sort of thing now.

One other place I remember was the Ex. Odeon, Northfields, which had become a nightclub, and then a church. We managed to get into the old projection box, and the projectors were still there; Vic. 8s with converted Kalee President arcs. There were no lights working, and for some reason nobody had a torch that day. We opened a spoolbox on one of the long-disused machines, and discovered that it still had film laced up in it! Because it was too dark to see we never did find out what the mystery film was.

Has anybody here had their theatre visited by the CTA?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: