Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Audio Inputs to USL 105/195

Author Topic: Audio Inputs to USL 105/195
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2005 01:07 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the audio for my on-screen ads going into the "EXT" input of the Ultra Stereo 105/195.The audio is coming direct from the sound card of a PC(Volume on PC turned up full) but the sound level is not loud enough without having to adjust the main fader which we don't want to do all the time.There does not seem to be any way of increasing the volume like you can with the Non-Sync trim pot.Any ideas on how to overcome this problem?
Thanks
Ian

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-16-2005 01:49 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you got your sound properties turned up all the way in the control panel of the PC since you mentioned that you've done some adjustment with the trimpot above the volume control of the 5/95(is this the actual model number for this unit than the one you listed per any chance?)

You may have some resistors place in line with that input with the 5/95 since the sensitivity of the N/S is quite high and the resistors cut down the input current of certain N/S source devices.

thx-Monte

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2005 03:23 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Monte
Yes the volume of the PC is turned to full.
This USL is a 105/195-a newer model to the 5/95.
The trim pot is used for the Non-Sync input which I have my background music playing through.
The audio for my on-screen ads is connected to the EXT input which does not have a trim pot for adjustment.
I'm not sure whether the EXT input has a higher input impedance than the Non-Sync which would cause my reduced volume or whether i need a small pre-amp to boost the signal to the EXT input.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2005 07:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then you may have to use an inexpensive external mixer of sorts to boost that level and allow you to have contol of that level seperately. That input needs a line level signal and apparently your audio card is not capable of delivering that.

Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2005 07:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then you may have to use an inexpensive external mixer of sorts to boost that level and allow you to have contol of that level seperately. That input needs a line level signal and apparently your audio card is not capable of delivering that. If you want to use the non-sync input then just place a 50 to 100k stereo pot in the line to have control of that, mount the pot on a single rack plate above the processor.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-16-2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience is that computer audio output is a bit low (we locally rebroadcast internet audio on FM). The mixer you describe will work perfectly. Alternatives are any form of stereo line amplifier such as an RDI #STA-1 with 20 db of gain. www.rdinet.com Louis

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2005 08:26 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys-I thought I may need an in-line amplifier.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-17-2005 12:10 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most media players (WMP, Winamp, etc) have an equalizer which allows to boost the levels of all bands beyond what the Windows main fader will give, usually by an extra 6dB. Try that first and see if it gives you enough level without audible distortion. Your PC may also have some kind of "sound effects" or "media effects" control program installed which essentially all do the same thing.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 06:44 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Michael
That is definitely worth trying before I look into an in-line amplifier.
Ian

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: