Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projectors wont go into non-sync after show

Author Topic: Projectors wont go into non-sync after show
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2005 11:34 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here's a strange one. 3 or 4 of our projectors will not go into non-sync at the end of the show. This happens every year about this time. Odd coincidence? Two of these projectors (Dolby Digital houses with cp-500) are surrounded by DTS houses (6AD) and the DTS houses never have this problem where the dolby house do...EVERY year. Anyone else have this happen? It only happens to the same projectors in one end of theater, the other end (also housing DTS and dolby processors) are unaffected. Any thoughts? I would guess they go into non-sync about 1 out of 10 times....MAYBE.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-16-2005 01:35 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it cold at that end? Are you use a (sticking) cam based automation?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2005 01:20 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2005 04:03 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, where does the processor end up at the end of the show. Does it sit on Mode 05. I saw on my machines that when the end cue goes through, it would switch to non-sync, good data would still be read by the CAT-701 reader and switch it back to Mode 10. Then when the film would tail out, it would default back to Mode 05 due to lack of digital data.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-16-2005 05:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, what kind of automation is he running and secondly, is the cueing system (STRONG's FP-350, or the Christie's SPECO 3Q. or equivalent) up to snuff to where the last cue (the shutdown cue) is being picked up to pulse the automation to swing over the N/S when the leader end drops the failsafe. Also, has he replaced the cues so the sensor's are reading it (The almost sounds like a 3Q failsafe problem where the one of the three sensors facing the roller aren't picking up the show end cue. I had to take one off and found out that the PC board behind the faceplace of the 3Q had a tailend of a capacitor touching the faceplate shorting out what was ever causing my problem. I snipped of that tailend and problem solved..) If it's a 350 problem, check the sensors under the plate and keep that area clean. Also the wiring going into the wire boss on the back of the 350 could have worked loose. Seen that happen as well.

Just some suggestions to look at since we don't know his automation.

-Monte

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2005 06:22 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked the auto digital targeting on the CP-500 automation? If it's not the problem Monte suggested, that'd be my next check to make.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2005 10:27 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its the christie automation. This only happens when the weather changes. Right around this time of year, these units tend to not go back into non-sync. They sit in 05 after the show.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-17-2005 04:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good ol' 3Q automation then. Sounds like for you to open up the back panel, with power off, and check the relays on the TB board to ensure that they are seated by removing them and reseating them in their respective sockets. Check the plug-in connection on the 3Q SPECO failsafe by unplugging it, cleaning off the contacts and reconnecting it. Also, check the wiring to the microswitch on the drop rollers, for you should hear the relay on the TB board of the 3Q click when the roller arms are raised and lowered.

Easy way to see if your SPECO failsafe unit is operating is to tape up the drop rollers, turn power to bulb off, and start the Christie normally with no film loaded in the unit. Then, take a key and pass it over the inboard sensor and this should open dowser and drop lights. Then pass the key over the outboard sensor and this should drop dowser and bring up lights. Loosen up the tape to allow drop rollers to drop and this should bring up N/S

One trick to try is to add a double layer of cue tape, in which you don't need a whole lot, just a half-inch or less since the sensors are sensitive enought to read a small amount, and see if this double layer will trigger the automation back to N/S when the last cue is read - which is usually the outboard cue.

Also, on the back of the 500, you'll see the green connector. Make sure that this connector is secure in it's socket.

..some more suggestions to help you out here... - Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-17-2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the other functions related to the show end occur or not that could give an indication as to where to go looking

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 06:16 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Monte, I will try those suggestions.

Gordon, yes, everything else is triggered properly, from beginning to end except for the sound going to non sync. The projector shuts off, the lights go up, but the sound goes from 10 (digital) to 05.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 04:13 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, have you watched your display? I'm curious to see if you saw what I described. I add an extra cue to the end of the tail, where the Dolby squares go totally black and that solved my problem.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: