Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » In need of Rentec L-2000 wiring diagrams

Author Topic: In need of Rentec L-2000 wiring diagrams
Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2005 10:52 AM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have wiring diagrams for these consoles, including automation & projector? I am going to a customer on Wed, Nov 16 to try to ressurect one.

Many Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-15-2005 12:09 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manuals here for the CFS console and automation should have the wiring schematics.

As for the detail of the complete wiring of a factory-wired CFS console, you might want to try calling Dick Niccum at Lighting Image Technology (951)786-9999.

-Aaron

Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2005 12:15 PM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No wiring diagrams of the consoles, only the power supplies.

thanks for the phone info.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-15-2005 08:27 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The good news is that the power supplies are straight forward. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2005 07:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The nice thing about the Rentec consoles is that it is possible with a little work to drop in a Christie Plenum kit and actually see some light come out of the thing. We've done one so far and we expect a 2K horizontal lamp to far outlast a 3kw lamp running vertically. Light output was about a 6 fold increase.

Mark

Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2005 02:17 PM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got there and after some quick voltage checks with a meter, discovered there was no power in many circuits in the console. Some quick checking back to the main contactor showed only one leg through with full voltage, one leg partial, and one leg no power. A quick tear-down, and re-burnishing of the contactor restored all circuits and got the system back up fully. [beer]

Thanks for all your input & suggestions. [thumbsup]

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2006 09:23 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new to the forums but have 12+ years of projection experience and currently own a drive-in theatre.

The amount of expertise here is impressive and am hoping I can get some help.

I have been recently employed by a local second-run theatre to help bring their presentation up to par. The theatre was reopened about 2 years ago after being abandoned by a large chain. When the chain closed the theatre, they either took everything out or destroyed most of what they did not take (par for the course.)

There are 6 screens, all with CFS/Rentec SX2000 consoles [Frown] , Super Platters [Mad] , Century SA heads and Century sound heads [Smile] . The dimmers are Xetrol IV (externally mounted).

I cannot get the wonderful console automation to trigger the Xetrol dimmers. All the dimmers require is a short from the common to either the bright or dim terminal as desired.

It appears that the consoles do have a dimmer built in, but I thought it would be easier to wire in the remote contacts since there are already wires just a few feet away.

Another poor choice of wiring is the red reader being tied into the projector motor circuit. If the motor is on, the sound is being fed into the theatre. In my opinion, this is a terrible method since if you motor the film through the leader, the patrons get to enjoy the magical hiss of the "soundtrack" on the clear leader.

I did download the manual, but it really does not offer much help. Although I am electrically inclined, I am having trouble really nailing down the problem areas using the schematics.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated on these two issues.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-21-2006 10:22 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you pick the AC for the red led off the motor feed, run in through the "exciter" contacts and it will only be on when the motor is running and the exciter contact is connected. Louis

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2006 10:30 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Louis, nice "talking" to you again. I met you in Florida a couple of years ago at the United Drive-In Theatre Owners Association convention.

Anyway, I knew the reader would be the easy one to fix. There are just so many problems at this theatre, I'm having trouble prioritizing where to start. I am dealing with either trash or severely misadjusted equipment, poorly trained projectionists and a screwy show schedule that causes additional problems.

I realize that questioning here is kind of the easy way out, but if it can save me time, I can improve the presentation faster.

The dimmer issue is really bugging me. I have tried connecting to the obvious terminals in the console, to no avail.

Hopefully someone can help here.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-22-2006 07:24 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least I can help a little.

Work on only one screen at a time until you are up-to-speed and "others" are happy.

Contact me off line or at the office; the Super platter is not that bad with a little help....but I am off topic here. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-22-2006 12:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is the older CFS automation (which was a copy of the Raven )
the terminal stip should be labeled for lighting control and check that there is actually contact closures occuring and that they are in fact wired across to the dimmer

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2006 01:13 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The terminal strips are labeled, but as noted above, they just don't activate the external dimmer.

I can manually trigger the up/down commands, so I know it's not the remote on the Xetrol that has an issue.

I just don't get why there are two or three different terminal strips that have dimmer controls inside the console!?! None of them will do anything.

At this point, I may resort to wiring directly to the manual switches on the console instead of having to run 25 feet away to raise or lower the lights directly at the dimmer. (Another "convenient" idea when the place was built.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: