Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Modification of Red Ring scope lens

Author Topic: Modification of Red Ring scope lens
Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone tell me how to modify a Red Ring scope lens adapter so that it will adjust down to a 10' throw. I have facilities for machining. Thanks in advance for any help. Jim Spohn

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-11-2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

First note that its not necessary to remove any glass elements from any of the barrels themselves, but they do need to be carefully covered over!! Removing the actual glass elements fromr either barrel renders the lens worthless. Proper aligmnent can no longer be accurately done on these older lenses once the element positions have been disturbed!!

Have done quite a few of these and I can say that it probably won't go down to 10 feet, but it should make 12-15. It entails removing the front element group sliding barrel and facing the main(stationary) barrel and if need be the back edge of the sliding front element barrel length a tad bit shorter. This allows the element groups to come closer together to work at shorter distances. Once the barrels are shortened file the alignment tabs length down so they can slide further in the slots they ride in towards the back of the lens. I've never had to lengthen the slots but dong so "might" just get you to 10 feet if there is enough sliding barrel to remove. No definate formula for this.... just take some off the length and check it and see how minimized the astigmatism is, repeat if necessasy being somewhat judicious as to how much you remove at a time.

Also, The sliding front element group assy. will usually only align(go back in) one way... I've seen the slots offset just slightly on most lenses, some are marked with one dot and then two dots but in my experience but it wouldn't hurt to place a slight scratch on one side of both the stationary and sliding barrels to guarantee the same alignment which is so very critical to good resolution.

Mark

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2005 09:25 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Film-Tech Magic Answer Machine brings up this thread from 2002.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2005 07:10 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done one of these. Not easy with my limited tools, but it worked. As Mark says, put a mark on the pieces before taking them appart. If you get it back together wrong, it won't work worth a darn.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: