Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » P35GPS ultramittent shoe adjustment

Author Topic: P35GPS ultramittent shoe adjustment
Daniel Burns
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2005 11:03 AM      Profile for Daniel Burns   Email Daniel Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just started working with Christie about a week ago. It's all new equipment, but one projector needs the ultramittemt pad roller or shoe (whatever you wanna call it) adjusted, it's sitting right on the sprocket right now. The manual doesn't show you how to do this, but tells you to as a means to fix "excessive film noise". If i'm overlooking it let me know. Thx

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-11-2005 12:16 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As noted in another thread, misadjustment of the shoe can cause severe scuffing of the back side of the film, leading to dusting.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-11-2005 03:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A new Christie projector equipped theater somewhere near Garland TX??? What theater is this? The only new one I'm aware of is the AMC in Garland, and I though it was to be all Strong.

It's an easy adjustment, but not having a Christie head in front of me, I can't remember it accurately enough to explain it in text.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-11-2005 05:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming they have not changed it..... loosen the allen head cap screw in the middle of the pad arm and then adjust the pad assy. laterally so its even with both outer edges of the speocket. Then tighten down the cap screw and double check it again to be sure it didn't shift during tightening. Turn the machine over by hand to be sure that the sprocket teeth are not runbbing in any way on the pad assy. before running the machine. If it happens to be loosen again and repeat until its correct.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-12-2005 02:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark - couldn't you also do the Simplex intermittent sprocket alignment method on the Ultramittents as well - to align the spockets to the shoes?

Did that a bunch of times on those P35's at those two complexes I worked at.

-thx, Monte

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-12-2005 07:08 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also remember that in addition to the lateral position, you can readjust how far in on the sprocket the pad shoe closes by loosening the little set allen screw on the front (facing towards the screen) of the "hub" on the V shaped base plate on which the pad shoe arm rotates and setting the closed position of the shoe so that it does not rub on the sprocket like Mark already mentioned. If it is too tight you will have excessive shedding.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-12-2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Hey Mark - couldn't you also do the Simplex intermittent sprocket alignment method on the Ultramittents as well - to align the spockets to the shoes?

Monte,

You don't actually move the sprocket to the pad assy. because all the sprockets have to be in the exact same plane forst. I use a machinists square to do this placing the edge of the square on the sprocket below the movement. Then position the intermittent sprocket's edge just up to and touching the edge of the square and then tighten it down. Then you align the shoe laterally to the sprocket.... This is of course assuming that you've had to replace the intermittent sprocket itself.

Mark

Daniel Burns
Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2005 11:19 PM      Profile for Daniel Burns   Email Daniel Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured it out, thanks. The Theatre I work at is actually in Rockwall, right on the other side of the lake on 30. It's a Cinemark 12 screen.

And that AMC, "firewheel 18" opens in december and if it does in fact have the simplex milleniums it might be one of the last, from what i hear. I'm not sure if strongs coming out with something new that AMC's going to use, or if they're going to be going with something else all together. Can't remember the projector name my old booth manager told me they were considering. And also it is an ALL SR-D setup.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: