Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Proper cloth FilmGuard application (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Proper cloth FilmGuard application
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received my first bottle of FilmGuard today (YAY!). I don't have a film cleaner yet, so I'd like to apply during rewind with a saturated cloth, but before I do... I have a few questions:

1. How fast or slow should I rewind the film when applying the FilmGuard?

2. How often should I move the cloth around during application (to use a less dirty portion of the cloth)?

3. How much FilmGuard should I use? I know Brad said that over-application is nearly a non-issue, but what about under-application, if there is such a thing?

I read over the instruction sheet, and while I'm not against applying the FG to the sides of the film on the core, I'd still like to reap some of the picture cleaning properties.

Thanks in advance for the help, guys!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2005 10:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A general guideline is that you should use 1 ounce over the course of a 2 hour movie.

Some other guys can probably chime in with their best results with cleaning by hand. I've always used the Kelmar cleaning machine.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-10-2005 10:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just experiment.

You could just place the bottle BESIDE the film and it will be improved. [Cool]

Are you running on reels? If space permits between the reel and the film trap just put a bit of FG on a cloth and add it while it's running and take a look at the difference out the port glass. Some care is obviously needed doing this to make sure the film doesn't take the cloth with it.

Enjoy the eighth wonder of the world.

John

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2005 11:39 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad's quote of one ounce per 2 hours of film is about the correct proportioning. Depending on the quality of prints you receive, you will have the best results by varying the "spot" you run the film through on the cloth. If the print is lab new, you may only need to rotate the placement of the cloth as little as three times per reel, as long as the dirt/dust buildup isn't becoming objectionable. Obviously, secondhand prints will require more rotating, refolding, and spraying of new cloths. Just remember not to use more than 1 oz. per 2 hours.

Experiment, you've got the bottle, give it a try! [thumbsup]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2005 01:20 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the ONLY type of cloth you should ever use to clean your film. KIMTECH wipes

It's lint-less, and has a texture similar to FilmTech Media. Just be sure to let the film glide through it and don't apply pressure, that will prevent scratching and will lay down the FilmGuard in streaks/lines the way a Kelmar cleaner does.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-12-2005 02:53 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Dan, streaks and lines are OK? Before I got the Kelmar unit, I did a few prints by hand and was intimidated by the streaky application. My gut was telling me to wet the entire surface uniformly, and of course this to a hellofa lot more cleaner than is recommended, but it sure cleaned it and the print looked nearly mint on the screen.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-12-2005 04:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Physical streaking of the FilmGuard layer on the print when looking at it under a light is perfectly normal.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2005 03:50 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dan,

So are these "KIMTECH Pure CL5" wipes better than the "ScottPure Critical Task" wipes that I was using? (Where do they come up with these names, huh?)

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2005 04:47 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the stuff we use is called "pec pads". i'm sure the material is virtually the same as the above named brands. basically a thin square of cottony felt.

i buy it from a photo supply store.

carl

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2005 09:41 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still cleaning film at home using cut-up T-shirt material in a thick pad. When the top layer gets dirty, peel it off and go with the new layer. No problems with this method yet, plus, I use little FilmGuard.

At work, I use the Kelmar cleaner. It does a nice job too.

Besides the great cleaning abilities of FG, I REALLY like how quietly the prints run thru the projectors. Even with prints that were cleaned WEEKS ago. Very nice.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2005 01:14 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

They're the exact same thing. They have either changed the name or offer them in different packaging.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2005 01:31 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been subjected to several different "critical task" wipes through our local dealer, being lint-free is the major feature to look for.

Toilet paper is the only paper with a true "critical task"

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2005 06:28 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to use a soft cloth that has been folded over several times, and ends up being about 6" X 6". I give it two sprays with film guard, and then fold it around the film, with the fold faceing me. With the film running right to left, I put my right hand around the folded cloth, with my fingers on the top, and thumb on the bottom. Using the tips of my thumb, and the finger next to my thumb to hold the cloth, but not putting any pressure on the film. Then I cock my hand a little clockwise, so that the film makes a lazy Z as it goes through the cloth. This way there is no pressure on the film, but it is in good contact with the cloth on both sides. I clean the film twice the first time I clean it, then once before each time I run it (after the first time).

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2005 12:21 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I have since gotten a Media Cleaner, but I want to know, about how many sprays is 1 ounce? I use to take a cloth, and spay it about 3 or 4 times to clean the first half of the movie, and then the same for the second half. With that, about how many sprays equal 1 ouch of FG on a rag?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-14-2005 05:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saturate the pads until they can't hold anymore. That's pretty much ideal.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: