Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Platter extension rod lubrication

Author Topic: Platter extension rod lubrication
Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2005 06:36 AM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two Potts 5 deck platters. Currently I am having an issue with the top 3 platters (or top 2 depending which side the middle platter is set to) on each 5 deck. The problem is the take up assembly (or snake) seems to lower to slow due to poor lubrication on the take up extension rod and slide tube. This causes the motor to rev up very high at the end of shows, and makes for an inaccurate rewind speed. It also scares my manager who sometimes has to thread shows during the week.

I'm curious as to what lubricant if any is safe to use on the extension rod and slide tube? Any input is much appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2005 07:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally have never dealt with any 5 deck platters, but I have worked with the Potts Alpha platters and CFS Super Platters. Both have essentially the same take up setup cept the CFS only goes down once making an "N" look, the Potts platters dip down twice, making the look of an "M" or "W". When ever I had a problem, I usually made sure that the slide rails were spaced properly, and were clean of any dirt or sticky residue. As for lubracation, I can't help there, but you might check that out if you haven't.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-10-2005 08:16 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, make sure these items are not bent, If lubrication is required use a teflon or silicon based lubricant commonly found at a locksmith. (Regular oil, including projector oil, will gum up over time) If oil was used in the past WD40 will degunk what was done earlier. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-10-2005 12:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check the axle on the variac as well, or the joints in the linkage could be binding up between variac and the accumulator assembly.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2005 10:52 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a combination of both the platter extension rod lubrication and the joints in the linkage are binding up. Monte, is there a possibility for repair? Or does this need to be replaced.

Thanks.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-15-2005 03:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alex Grueneberg
Monte, is there a possibility for repair? Or does this need to be replaced.

I'd check the action inside the variac to see if anything isn't binding up to cause the accumulator - just unplug the platter before taking that cover off.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: