Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Buying Test Loops (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Buying Test Loops
Richard Edward Wells III
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2005 03:53 PM      Profile for Richard Edward Wells III   Email Richard Edward Wells III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have told my supervisors at my theater that we need the test film so that I can accurately focus all of our projectors, and after a month, we still don't have it. I just want to know if there is anywhere I can go online myself and order some SMPTE RP40 film? I've searched quite a few dealers and all of the ones that I could buy from myself have not had the test film.

|  IP: Logged

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2005 05:32 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Test film such as RP40 is very expensive...I wouldn't recommend buying it out of your own pocket. If the management doesn't want to shell out the money then they will suffer in the long run with reduced admissions sales due to poor presentation. Just do the best you can until you get some test film.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-09-2005 05:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
try ordering 35-PA instead

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-09-2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presently the SMPTE is back ordered on this film. Try buying from a technically based dealer who stocks this in depth. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-09-2005 09:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
try ordering 35-PA instead

True, the "RP-40" is the text documentation that comes with the 35-PA test film (but of course, all of us tekkies refer the loop as the "RP-40" and got away with it all of these years..). True also, the 35-PA film is about 2 to 5 bucks a foot being first generation camera negative on ACETATE stock. So, if you get a 10ft roll of this stuff, do take care of it.

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2005 10:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You're proposing using 35-PA for focusing???

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-09-2005 10:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte If someone ordered from me rp40 they would get the text document
Do you relise the amount of incorrectly ordered parts theatre place because they assume you know what they are talking about
If you want part x then oreder it by the correct part number and testfilms and the likeas are no different

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2005 10:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So if someone ordered "10 feet of RP40" from your company Gordon, you would ship them the RP40 paper knowing damn good and well they meant the PA35 film??? That's kind of mean. [Razz]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2005 11:21 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let alone ten feet of it... Damn! [Smile]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2005 12:48 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
True also, the 35-PA film is about 2 to 5 bucks a foot being first generation camera negative on ACETATE stock.
You must have some OLD loops. My roll is on polyester stock.

quote:
I have told my supervisors at my theater that we need the test film so that I can accurately focus all of our projectors,
I use it to set framing and cut plates. Even if you have the loop focused, when you run a film you'll have to re-focus.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-10-2005 03:18 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(lol yep, got some old SMPTE RP-40 loops... [Smile] )

..On focusing with the RP-40 (35PA - the newer issue of this same loop), this loop is good for when aligning and focusing in the anamorphic attachment to the screen with the crosshairs on the loop.

Also, look into the reverse of the 35PA, (which I don't know the release number) which is black on white. This aids in fine tuning out the shutter ghosts when doing the shutter timing.

-Monte

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-10-2005 03:49 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Also, look into the reverse of the 35PA, (which I don't know the release number) which is black on white. This aids in fine tuning out the shutter ghosts when doing the shutter timing.
So does the end of many trailers that have lots of white (clear) titles at the end. The difference is they're essentially free.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2005 04:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, just rack the framing enough out so that you can see the white text trails. Works better than RP40 or PA35 in my opinion.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2005 02:40 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately for us, our 35PA is so trashed it's almost useless for anything but cutting aperture plates and setting framing/masking.

I offer my "ghetto" bandaid solutions:
Use a loop of full screen credits such as at the end of the Jarhead trailer (which by the way was incredibly steady on most prints) for dialing out shutter ghost.

Use a loop of hard matt'd green band from a FLAT trailer for a SCOPE movie to center up your framing.

Use loops of the really bright green band from a hard matt'd SCOPE trailer for a FLAT movie to adjust your scope lenses.
It's not ideal but I remember reading about it here on FT at one point and have had limited success with it in my experience.

And of course, the usual disclaimer. If you're unsure about anything, don't do it until you are!

Good luck.

Luci Reeve
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2006 05:02 PM      Profile for Luci Reeve   Author's Homepage   Email Luci Reeve   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried to focus using the 35PA black & white and then had to adjust when the movie started...I was told the 35PA was thinner than color stock. So I usually focus with a loop of credits. But I would like to own a color 35PA loop. I saw one once so I know it's out there. If anyone knows how to acquire some I'd really appreciate it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: