Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reflector working distance for SLC consoles

Author Topic: Reflector working distance for SLC consoles
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-08-2005 02:03 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the optimum working distance for the standard reflectors in SLC consoles (for both 2-3k and 4k setups)? Does anyone have the working distance measured from the front of the lamphouse (rather than the snood edge or film plane) to the front edge of the reflector or plenum?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-08-2005 02:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What model projector are you mounting?

The working distances are in the SLC manual here on the site you can download. It only specifies from reflector to film plane, but you can measure inside the lamphouse and then do the math. [Wink]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-08-2005 01:50 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projectors are Christie and Simplex, but they are already mounted. I want to check the reflector position in a number of SLC installations we have.
I looked long and hard but couldn't find the information in the SLC manual. Where is it?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-08-2005 05:14 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
23.95 inches/608mm inches for the small reflector / 31.125 inches/791mm for the large reflector based on rear of reflector to film plane.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-08-2005 11:02 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gracias, Riccardo! Where did you find those numbers?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2005 12:40 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's in the SLC manual just like I told you! (Try page 57)

Christie, Century and Kinoton heads do not require a spacer for mounting on an SLC console, but Simplex projectors DO! If there isn't a spacer there, your Simplexes need to be remounted and aligned with the spacer (available from Christie).

How many Simplex spacers do you need? I think I have several laying around here.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-09-2005 12:58 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good! I had completely forgotten about those drawings in the secret appendix B. Thanks for pointing that out! We have 6 Simplex projectors mounted on SLC consoles. I will check them for correct alignment and the spacers as soon as I get to the location next time.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-09-2005 09:32 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, the Christie pages as Brad noted and reflector blueprints from their supplier. Feeble mind and 36 drawers of tech literature [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: